Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  1. #1
    stinkfist's Avatar
    stinkfist is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    sullivan in
    Posts
    23

    Diesel powered tj

    my build
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Diesel powered tj-2010-09-17_19-23-19_452-1.jpg  


  2. #2
    Bounty__Hunter's Avatar
    Bounty__Hunter is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Southern Illinois
    Posts
    13,425

    Re: Diesel powered tj

    Welcome to the Z, that's a sweet looking Jeep. Can you tell us more about your motor swap?

  3. #3
    stinkfist's Avatar
    stinkfist is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    sullivan in
    Posts
    23

    Re: Diesel powered tj

    thanks. sure, what do you want to know?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Diesel powered tj-rsz_rsz_12010-09-17_19-05-58_494.jpg  

    Last edited by stinkfist; 09-29-2010 at 04:41 PM.

  4. #4
    xjmarc's Avatar
    xjmarc is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Chattanooga Tennessee
    Posts
    636

    Re: Diesel powered tj

    Everything. I know a guy with a 4BT powered YJ and that thing will pull stumps out of the ground. We are all about the details here.

  5. #5
    stinkfist's Avatar
    stinkfist is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    sullivan in
    Posts
    23

    Re: Diesel powered tj

    it was a fun build and is a great dd. here are some more pics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Diesel powered tj-rsz_rsz_22010-09-17_19-04-30_787.jpg  

    Diesel powered tj-rsz_rsz_2010-09-17_19-04-44_357.jpg  

    Diesel powered tj-rsz_2010-09-17_19-02-42_279.jpg  


  6. #6
    Bounty__Hunter's Avatar
    Bounty__Hunter is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Southern Illinois
    Posts
    13,425

    Re: Diesel powered tj

    How does it drive? Which transmission you use?

    Love the engine and dash detail.

  7. #7
    stinkfist's Avatar
    stinkfist is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    sullivan in
    Posts
    23

    Re: Diesel powered tj

    Quote Originally Posted by Bounty__Hunter View Post
    How does it drive? Which transmission you use?

    Love the engine and dash detail.
    it drives great,im in it every wkd. ax15 trans

  8. #8
    bobcat481's Avatar
    bobcat481 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    530

    Re: Diesel powered tj

    Looks like a 4bt. Did you go with A.A. to get it matched to the AX15? Tell us ALL you can..........

  9. #9
    stinkfist's Avatar
    stinkfist is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    sullivan in
    Posts
    23

    Re: Diesel powered tj

    Quote Originally Posted by bobcat481 View Post
    Looks like a 4bt. Did you go with A.A. to get it matched to the AX15? Tell us ALL you can..........
    yes its the 4bt. yeah i used the a a ax15 to gm . is there any certain thing you want to know?

  10. #10
    stinkfist's Avatar
    stinkfist is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    sullivan in
    Posts
    23

    Re: Diesel powered tj

    Quote Originally Posted by bobcat481 View Post
    Looks like a 4bt. Did you go with A.A. to get it matched to the AX15? Tell us ALL you can..........
    what part of indiana are you from?

  11. #11
    stinkfist's Avatar
    stinkfist is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    sullivan in
    Posts
    23

    Re: Diesel powered tj


  12. #12
    BaconYJ's Avatar
    BaconYJ is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denver, Colorado
    Posts
    312

    Re: Diesel powered tj

    What axles are you running in your set up? I do not think the d35 nor the d30 would beable to handle the 4bt's torque. What gearing, tire size, etc are you running? RPM at highway speeds (70ish)? Have you changes out the fuel pin or the valve springs to run a higher rpm?

    Noticed in one of your pictures, the engine was clocked a couple degrees to the passanger side. Is that the same degree/clocking from your donor truck?

    Lastly, I am looking into doing the same kind of swap but with a NV4500. How long did your build take and did you do it all yourself?

    Great looking Jeep!

    Bacon

  13. #13
    Kate's Avatar
    Kate is offline Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    68

    Re: Diesel powered tj

    My OBM saw the pictures just now, and got a big grin on his face, he wants to build a diesel powered rig.

    I guess that when they/we/I are asking for info, what we are saying is that a write up would be spectacular.
    Unless you want to keep it a secret for fear of copy cats. If that's the case, just say so.

    A nice detailed outline of what parts you used, how you went about the conversion and install, what modifications you had to make, wiring, cooling, resources for parts. Info on anything and everything that you can tell about it would be fantastic. It would take some time but would be an amazing source of information for those of us who are planning on a similar project.

    My Jeep should be paid off in about a year, I expect that OBM will begin his build about then. He's thinking a diesel powered YJ. He's a retired heavy equipment mechanic. Diesel is what he does, so it should be interesting to watch him combine the thing he loves (diesel) with the thing he hates (automotive) I expect to see many bouts of turrets syndrome up in the shop.

  14. #14
    Crazy4diesels's Avatar
    Crazy4diesels is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    393

    Re: Diesel powered tj

    Awsome!! That's a lot of iron to stuff into a TJ. You even got an intercooler into it. I like the dash. This must be off road only - or you don't need to pass emissions where you are. I bet you get great MPG. Yeah, what axles ARE you running? I would think the 4BT can easily grenade the stockers. Great job!! -John

  15. #15
    jps4jeep's Avatar
    jps4jeep is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    6,657

    Re: Diesel powered tj

    I would like to know about any state inspection and what you did for it?

    I am in Mass, and am looking to put a 12 valve 6bt into a 98 GMC with ODB2.. have a ***** of a time trying to figure out how..
    It used to be a jeep Thing,
    But all that stuff broke

    -Johnny-


  16. #16
    stinkfist's Avatar
    stinkfist is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    sullivan in
    Posts
    23

    Re: Diesel powered tj

    Quote Originally Posted by BaconYJ View Post
    What axles are you running in your set up? I do not think the d35 nor the d30 would beable to handle the 4bt's torque. What gearing, tire size, etc are you running? RPM at highway speeds (70ish)? Have you changes out the fuel pin or the valve springs to run a higher rpm?

    Noticed in one of your pictures, the engine was clocked a couple degrees to the passanger side. Is that the same degree/clocking from your donor truck?

    Lastly, I am looking into doing the same kind of swap but with a NV4500. How long did your build take and did you do it all yourself?

    Great looking Jeep!

    Bacon
    as of now im running stock axles and theyve held up well with my driving. im running 3.07 gears in mine and seems really good. my tires are 33s and at 70 mph my rpms are around 1700-1800. yeah its the typical 8* tilt engine adapter found in all of those donor trucks, i took as much of the tilt out as i could when i built my mounts, you can buy a engine adapter that has no tilt for about 1200. yes i done all of the swap myself and it took about 7 wkds off n on to do it. but its been worth it

  17. #17
    stinkfist's Avatar
    stinkfist is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    sullivan in
    Posts
    23

    Re: Diesel powered tj

    Quote Originally Posted by Kate View Post
    My OBM saw the pictures just now, and got a big grin on his face, he wants to build a diesel powered rig.

    I guess that when they/we/I are asking for info, what we are saying is that a write up would be spectacular.
    Unless you want to keep it a secret for fear of copy cats. If that's the case, just say so.

    A nice detailed outline of what parts you used, how you went about the conversion and install, what modifications you had to make, wiring, cooling, resources for parts. Info on anything and everything that you can tell about it would be fantastic. It would take some time but would be an amazing source of information for those of us who are planning on a similar project.

    My Jeep should be paid off in about a year, I expect that OBM will begin his build about then. He's thinking a diesel powered YJ. He's a retired heavy equipment mechanic. Diesel is what he does, so it should be interesting to watch him combine the thing he loves (diesel) with the thing he hates (automotive) I expect to see many bouts of turrets syndrome up in the shop.
    thats not a problem, i will help you with anything you want to know. tell him to get a bottle of crown royal to start with......it seems to help

  18. #18
    stinkfist's Avatar
    stinkfist is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    sullivan in
    Posts
    23

    Re: Diesel powered tj

    Quote Originally Posted by jps4jeep View Post
    I would like to know about any state inspection and what you did for it?

    I am in Mass, and am looking to put a 12 valve 6bt into a 98 GMC with ODB2.. have a ***** of a time trying to figure out how..
    indiana doesnt have state inspection. that would be a nice build

  19. #19
    stinkfist's Avatar
    stinkfist is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    sullivan in
    Posts
    23

    Re: Diesel powered tj

    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy4diesels View Post
    Awsome!! That's a lot of iron to stuff into a TJ. You even got an intercooler into it. I like the dash. This must be off road only - or you don't need to pass emissions where you are. I bet you get great MPG. Yeah, what axles ARE you running? I would think the 4BT can easily grenade the stockers. Great job!! -John
    hey thanks. no off-roading yet, so far its pretty much a pavement princess yeah the 4bt could make a mess of the stock axles

  20. #20
    bobcat481's Avatar
    bobcat481 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    530

    Re: Diesel powered tj

    Quote Originally Posted by stinkfist View Post
    what part of indiana are you from?
    About 5 miles north of Martinsville, 20 or so miles south of Indy

Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Similar Threads

  1. yj from 2.5 to diesel
    By VinMan in forum CJ YJ TJ and JK
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-03-2009, 11:06 AM
  2. Diesel conversion
    By REDLEG in forum CJ YJ TJ and JK
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-22-2009, 11:00 PM
  3. Converting 99 TJ to Diesel?
    By socal_rob in forum CJ YJ TJ and JK
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-05-2009, 01:35 PM
  4. diesel xj
    By fr8dog in forum Cherokee, Commander, Wagoneer and Liberty
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-28-2004, 08:16 AM
  5. A xj With a diesel...where can i get one?
    By MudderChuck in forum Cherokee, Commander, Wagoneer and Liberty
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 07-20-2003, 07:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in