Take II NAPA 8434/78 battery

Turbogus

Greetings from Oregon gang, where we kiss where the sun don't shine.
wink.gif
wink.gif

A couple of years ago I needed a battery for "Black Betty" Renegade
5367669524_e1d34a2752_m-1.jpg

-78 CJ 5. So after reading some CR and other data I went with the NAPA 8434/78, taking advantage of my AAA discount it was rather affordable and reading that Johnson Controls was the manufactuer I was at ease.

6038780689_8b940c9880_m-1.jpg

5489456507_bcd81a8d65_m-1.jpg

5489456467_8a021060b6_m-1.jpg

Well, after making some electircal mods for winch, lights etc. with a second battery driving them, all was well for a spell. Last year though my dedicated starting battery the NAPA, failed to start up "Betty". I got a jump start and as I don't drive her regularly, I put it down to regular charge dissipation. I just moved to another town and after getting somewhat settled the battery was drained again. I disconnected the terminals and put the battery on a charger overnight. The following morning I noted the volts were 10.4, and the specific gravity average was 1221 with the worst plate reading 1130.
Later the same day I checked again and;
10.5v and the sg avg. was 1189 with the worst plate at 1000.
This morning I took readings again and the results were;
10.5v sg avg. 1185 worst plate 1000
So, I'm taking it as that worst plate is sulfated up and kaput,
NAPA prorate for a new battery cost $48.00, cheaper than what I've been going with since I first encountered this problem. I know that Optima batteries are hot topic but up till now I had no issues with wet cells in "Betty"
Once I find my battery charger I'm thinking of leaving "Betty" hooked up during the long stretches I don't have time to motor.
Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Instead of a battery charger, you may want to look at a battery minder, they will maintain a float charge, but will not bake a battery like a charger can. Black & Decker makes one that costs about $20.00, so it might be a good investiment even if you do end up replacing the current battery, especially if it does sit for long periods between being driven.

Good to know, thanks Paul, thus far I'd been using a NAPA stand up automatic charger. I'm thinking I'd better switch. I'm familiar with Battery Tender products as I'm using one on my bike. Not heard of Batttery Minder.

Last edited:
A couple of things, once a battery sulfates a plate, its on the way to the graveyard. Was told by an optima rep you could nock some off on thier battery by dropping it on the ground a few times....really works? Was also told that in a two battery setup, you have to replace both at the same time or the weaker one will vampiric drain the new one causing it to sulfate up faster due to a slow amp drain.

Sent from my PG86100 using Jeepz

Thanks for the responses guys. I'm hoping I caught it in time. I suspect I left my mp3 hooked into the cig lighter in the "on" position that with it's apparent sulfated plates, caused its demise.

a better alternative to the battery tender, is the new pulse charger.. it tests your battery, then pulses the charge in.. it will dang near bring a bad battery back to life.. it is regulated, so it will maintain your battery when charged.. it does a better job at charging than the traditional full charge until regulation occurs.. I've taken batteries that failed and used the pulse, it brought them back full... another trick on the wet batteries is to empty them, then carefully cut around the top lip of the housing.. usually 1/2" variable, below the top of the battery.. lift the top off and all the plates will come with it.. clean these plates of all the build up, clean out the bottom of the case good, dry the top and the case where they go back together.. us a strong silicone mix to put the top back on the case.. then refill with battery acid.. your battery willl last another 5 to 7 years.. then start over.. dad used to do all of his failed batteries that way..

Back