Starting problem

MCluvsacj5

My 74 cj5 has an intermitent problem. Once in a while it will not start, acts like there is no battery in it, no lights, no horn, no electrical at all. Yesterday i had to push start it then it started right up, ran great, got me home, shut it off, waited a few seconds & cranked right over. I recently installed a new ignition switch, had the battery checked out, its good, checked & replaced all fuses, it only does this once in a while. Any thoughts, this is a 304 with t18 trans. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Jeepz.com mobile app

Have you load tested the battery?
Cleaned battery connections and opposite end connection? Like the engine and chassis ground connections.

Does your alternator have serviceable brushes? I had a 95 f150 that wouldn’t start randomly. I noticed the battery voltage fluctuating on last drive before no start. Changed brushes and no more issue.

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

I keep my battery connections clean religiously so I dont think thats an issue, could there be a ground connection loose somewhere I dont know about ?
I dont think my alternator brushes are serviceable, it does put out 14.5 volts constantly. Could my starter solenoid be going, it is the fender mounted "ford" type.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

You mention no lights, no horn that means no power. Has nothing to do with the starter solenoid.

Did you clean the other ends? Ground to engine. Ground to chassis.

Cables could be corroded. You could ohm one side to the other. Or you could ohm the ground cable to some body or engine part. It should be less than 5 ohms. More like 1ohm
What if you take a jumper cable to create a new ground to engine and power to the starter.

Last edited:

I will take an ohm meter to the ground cables, thnx.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

That is good.
I measured 25 ohms once when i noted the headlights pulsing.
Replaced and cleaned contact points.

Back