Turbogus is offline Senior Member

Splitting Power at battery

Greetings gang from Oregon~where if the rain don't kill you, you can do it yourself.
    Well, I finally bit the bullet and bought a 4 1/2 ton winch for "Black Betty" my '78 Renegade. I'm hip that the winch needs to have power direct from the battery and in setups I've seen, simply adding an extension cable works fine.
    My trouble is, I already have an extension cable running from the battery to a power distibution box that powers other essential circuits (aux lights x4, audio amplifier, CB, Bi Linear amplifier, etc. and two extensions off of the positive battery terminal seems unwise.
    Is there such a thing as a Y splitter battery cable? or a 0-4 guage power distibution block? I've been searching the web over the weekend and have come up with zilch. Perhaps there's another way to attack this problem I'm not yet aware of.
    Thanks and a lift of the lynch lid for any responses.
    Quick fixes are so named for how long they stay fixed.
    If you run out of gas, no matter which way you decide to push, the closest gas station will always be uphill and in the other direction. Corollary: The likelihood of running out increases when all of the nearby gas stations are closed.
    The parts shop that stocks part for Skylab II will not have parts for our year/model of Jeep.
    We cannot accurately judge the trajectory of a speeding critter (cat, dog, sasquatch).

SteelHeadz is offline Moderator

Re: Splitting Power at battery

My experience with a winch wiring sharing with other loads was not a pleasant one. I ended up running a dedicated heavy gauge wire for the ground and positive lead to the winch from the battery. On the good note, i was able to split several circuits from the battery from its dual terminal on both the positive and negative post. The gel battery i'm currently using has a regular post on top and a wing nut post as well. With the winch running, i can run my audio, aux lamps and running lamps with very little surge. If you split it from your distribution box, it might create a surge enough to fry your electronics. IMO.
    Confucious says: Don't eat the snow where the huskies go!

Likely when I'm winching all other accessory electric would be shut off anyway, and just now looking at my battery, it's a dual post type so I think this'll solve the splitting issue
    If you run out of gas, no matter which way you decide to push, the closest gas station will always be uphill and in the other direction. Corollary: The likelihood of running out increases when all of the nearby gas stations are closed.
    The parts shop that stocks part for Skylab II will not have parts for our year/model of Jeep.
    We cannot accurately judge the trajectory of a speeding critter (cat, dog, sasquatch).

caryabhi126 is offline Junior Member

Can you explain it in detail?
    Wrangler 2006

Bounty__Hunter is offline Moderator

If your battery is a standard wet automotive battery with top and side terminals, do not wire the winch to the side terminals. The side terminals are for accessory use only and can not handle the load of a winch.

I would run your winch directly to the top battery terminals.

Consider an alternator and battery upgrade. I run an Optima bluetop, it's a deep cycle/starting battery that has additional stainless studs on top that are perfect for attaching the winch leads.

This is the mess I found on my GMC;

Splitting Power at battery-wp_20170219_14_18_09_pro.jpg

Splitting Power at battery-wp_20170219_14_18_15_pro.jpg

Thanks P.O.

JPNinPA is offline Senior Member

Splitting Power at battery

Old post!

On many dual post batteries the front screw mounts are not rated for high current. High loads should go to the posts. Esp winching.

Regards,
    JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk
    "Never look down on anybody unless you're helping him up" - Jesse Jackson