Can a bad connector cause fire / smoke / melting?

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member
Not Jeep specific, but more along the lines of general wiring.
On my boat, I've got a connector that has melted. I had assumed one component had failed, and that the melted connector was a symptom (not the cause). According to the boat forum guys, there was likely a bad connection inside the plug that arced and caused the plug to melt.

Does this sound right to you guys? I've never replaced a plug like this, and I've ordered the plug, as well as a set of extraction tools. Hopefully I'll be back on the water soon.

Optimized-IMG_2520.JPG

Optimized-IMG_2519.JPG

From my personal experience , the only electrical failure I've ever seen was from overdraw due to resistance producing excessive heat which also could come from over extended use over long periods of time . Such as an automotive heater/defroster blower motor circuit. Your connector is water proof , especially since it is for marine use . It is not likely it was disconeected often , if ever . For as long as this connection existed and has been electrically charged , I wouldn't think the female terminal would have likely spread causing an arc and NOT to any other connection in this plug. It seems clear that the one wire on this line should be traced for more possible evidence of overheating , damage or just non-conductivity (excessive resistance). My biggest concern as is yours is what would have cause this draw that caused the evident damage . A short , or perhaps an overdrawn power supply ? I'm certain you'll want this , as you've said , corrected before you set off to open waters. Curious as you are what caused this as well. The forum would be most curious as well as these are as auto related as they are boat related. Thank you for your post and for sharing this with us !

Yes a poor resistive connection will heat. Depending on the current draw a lot of heat can be generated. As Greg pointed out the jeep heater circuit is a good example. Poor contacts and maybe some load on the motor (dirt or motor age/wear) has melted the wires at the connectors and blown the resistors.

Some connectors are easy to replace without cutting and splicing wires.

What is on this circuit? Is it a starter or has extra components been added like a amp and radio?

Last edited:
Thanks for the input guys, I've bought a replacement connector, some pins, and a pin extractor tool. I'm heading over tonight to take a look at it. Hopefully they will all come out easily, and I'll only have to replace the pin on the bad / melted pin.

As to what this does, this is a factory plug that connects to the power pack. I can't really say what's on the circuit, however it is all stock, and directly related to the engine.

Back