Cherokee Engine Swap: 2JZ-GTE

So here is the emissions update.

There is a new CEL letting me know it doesn't like the secondary speed sensor being gone. I'm going to try to just resistor it to the spec in the manual and see if that clears it. Might be different though. We'll see. Here in emissions counties in Texas I have to pass what is called a Readiness Test. It reads as follows:

Readiness Test Status Results

Misfire Status = Complete
Fuel Status = Complete
Comprehensive Status = Complete
Catalyst Status = Not Complete
Heated Catalyst Status = Not Available
Evaporative Status = Not Available
Secondary Air Status = Not Available
AC Status = Not Available
Oxygen Status = Not Complete
Oxygen Heater Status = Not Complete
EGR Status = Not Complete

Catalyst status is not complete, meaning it probably just needs to be heat cycled properly by driving the vehicle. I assume this is calculated by the ecu based on O2 information and the CTS possibly.
Heated Catalyst Status I'm not 100% sure yet, but I may need to change my FG O2 sensor to a newer one from an OBDII car.
Evaporative Status will require me to install a vsv, vacuum hoses and route them to a charcoal canister according to the 2JZ manual.
Secondary Air Status and AC Status can stay that way and pass...so they will for now.
Oxygen Status and Oxygen Heater Status will likely be fine once I connect the tail pipe O2 sensor (Jeep one is already OBDII).
EGR Status will be corrected when I source the stock US Supra VSV for EGR, an EGR Vacuum Modulator, and an EGR valve. Then I have to install it all.
smile-1.gif

There is still a bulb, a cracked lens, and a missing lug nut waiting as well, lol.

Had to swap injector plugs for the new 550cc injectors.

SprintPhoto_iqereu-1.jpg

SprintPhoto_hqereu-1.jpg

SprintPhoto_gqereu-1.jpg

SprintPhoto_fqereu-1.jpg

SprintPhoto_eqereu-1.jpg

SprintPhoto_dqereu-1.jpg

SprintPhoto_cqereu-1.jpg

SprintPhoto_bqereu-1.jpg

Now I'm working on tieing the EGR in to the manifold. Kinda hated to do this, but I should have known I'd need it and designed it in initially.

Re-oriented the cast valve body.

EGR01-1.jpg

EGR02-1.jpg

EGR03-1.jpg

EGR04-1.jpg

Cut a compression fitting coupling in half and made the 2 hole flange a compression fitting connection.

EGR05-1.jpg

EGR01-1.jpg

EGR06-1.jpg

Welded 3rd compression fitting onto runner no. 6 of the exhaust manifold.

EGR07-1.jpg

EGR08-1.jpg

EGR09-1.jpg

EGR10-1.jpg

Will continue asap.

Still need to drill and tap the upper plenum, but this is essentially how the EGR system will be.

SprintPhoto_bvbwri-1.jpg

I should be good using a Ford O2 up top and the Jeep O2 post-cat...they are all 4 wire. We'll see. Also need to mount the two vsv's and route the wiring and hoses for the EGR and the EVAP systems.

2 good pieces of news today.

1.) I have a Chrysler 8.25 axle not the D35 that was originally thought.

2.) The Jeepra is going on the dyno sometime this week.

Bear in mind that it is in a highly detuned and purposefully weakened state right now, since I can't risk breaking anything. A highly restrictive exhaust has been installed, boost pressure is being kept at about 6-7 psi, front driveshaft has not yet been re-installed, and the diffs are being kept open for now to bleed off excess power throughput through one spinning wheel.

I need new tires, front and rear axle upgrades, and a transfer case upgrade. Wonder if I need new driveshafts...

Once the drivetrain can handle the powertrain we shall have a 4wd burnout.

Back