Replacing cat

cindy8653

Please help. I have one more question.

Do I need new gaskets when replacing the catalytic converter on my 97 Grand Cherokee V8, 5.2?

And is this something I can do myself, a novice? I have looked at the website ehow and it looks fairly easy to do, just unbolt the screw from the hangers and pull the old one out and put the new one in and bolt it back up again, but does it have to be tightened to a specific torque? And what about the heat shield on the bottom. It looks pretty shot.......big hole in it, do I have to replace that?

I know there are plenty of females out there who have worked on vehicles and I like working with tools (I have put together furniture) but obviously I don't have the confidence because I have never really done any mechanics except the PCV. But you will never learn unless you get in there and do it yourself.

So what are your suggestions? Any response would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

A bolt-in replacement converter is going to be very expensive. The bolts will likely need to be cut off.

You may be money ahead to find a reputable muffler shop and have a universal converter installed. I'd price it out both ways.

OMG! a woman that wants to work on her jeep. I love it!!! I don;t mean that in a bad way, just not many woman are into that sort of thing, (why can.t I find one of those). Exhaust can be a "pita" subburn rusted bolts that usually need to be cut off. If you go for it and do it yourself it will save you quite a bit of cash. If you don't have one, buy a 4" grinder and a cut off wheel for it. Use that to cut you bolts off, the rest should be pretty straight forward. IMO the heat shild around the cat is optional, ive pulled many off because they were rusted and just hanging there. I guess if you got technical there is torque specs for the exhaust but just tighten them evenly and tight so they don;t leak. After install start the jeep and feel around where you bolted it up for any exhaust leaks blowing out. watch your eyes while working under the jeep, lots of debris will fall down on your face.

Thanks for answering guys. I know even some guys that attempt to fix their own ride to save money wind up encountering problems that they had not anticipated. I was reading on an internet search some fellow attempting to replace an oz sensor which looked like a relatively easy job, however the anti-seizure compound either wore out or none was put on because he could not undo the sensor and these are problems that I had not anticipated, like the bolts being so rusted that they have to be cut out.

Back