New guy to forum and the jeep world

garevalos

Just got my very first jeep a 1991 Jeep Wrangler. Runs really good with the in-line 6. Suspension looks like it’s dated ? Not sure being that it’s my first, does anything need servicing, upgrading that you can see? TIA
Been an old school VW guy most of my adult life, the VW community is awesome, heard jeep community was just as good.. Excited!!

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

IMG_7072.JPGIMG_7084.JPGIMG_7085.JPG64833931367__FC015E83-60D1-463D-8F0E-9CCE0C2D3929.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

Nice looking Jeep! Welcome to the forum and to the world of Jeeps.

If it were mine, I'd go through and change all the fluids: oil, transmission, transfer case, f/r differentials, brake fluid, power steering fluid, and radiator. Then I'd hit all the lube/grease points with fresh grease. That way, you know everything has been refreshed.

As far as the suspension, it is hard to see everything in the photos. If it were me, I'd test drive it at various speeds and see how it tracks and rides and whether you get the infamous "death wobble" (you'll know you have it if the Jeep has it!!), both on pavement and dirt roads. It looks like you have sway bar disconnects, so if it were me, I'd disconnect those and repeat testing at various speeds on dirt roads (I would not advise running with the sway bards disconnected on the street at all, nor would I go on dirt with them disconnected over 45 mph). If all feels right, you might just be alright for many more miles.

The Jeep in-line 6 is a pretty long-lived engine for the most part. They are not very fuel efficient, but they seem to last a long time and short block or long block replacements are not prohibitively expensive and are readily available.

YMMV.

B52’s love Shocks….Rusted
Possibly disconnect bushings.

Agree with above. Pick and choose the correct fluids.
With leaf springs DW is less likely.
Do a dry steer test to find any worn steering components. Do a balljoint and wheel bearing test.
Check brake linings and full bleed with new fluid.

When doing a dry steer note if your frame moves before the wheels. If it does, Check for frame cracks in the corners. Fix them. Then get a steering box support bracket. Large tires cause this.

Nothing is good if you can’t stop or steer.

Also make sure the track bar and drag link are parallel. If not you will have bump steer. I say this cause one pic looks like the track bar has a relocation bracket.

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

Last edited:
Back