thump noise in front end

Ray1942

I have a 1998 Jeep Cherokee 6cyl. Cherokee XJ 4 wheel drive, auto trans. When I make a right turn from a stop, I have a thumping noise in the front end drive or suspension area, it continues until I get up to speed then I don"t hear it anymore....anyone have similar problem ? Any ideas as to, What or where I should start checking for the problem ? Just put in main driveline U-joints so that isn't problem..
:???:

First thing you should do is jack it up and check for anything loose or with play in it. A bad hub can cause a noise when turning but usually goes away shortly after the wheel is straightened.

JPNinPA...Thank you for your reply, am in process of doing (checking) stuff you recommended I check. Good list you sent me, appreciate it. :piratenanner:

Yah!
If you have a suspension lift, greater than 2 inches, it puts the drive shaft at more extreme angles. That could cause binding and pressure on the u joint areas.

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

sorry I used capitals on the word NO, never meant it as a shout at ya,, Yes, I could use test methods to validate good/bad. Thanks again for all your replies to assist me... greatly appreciated..

Dry steer test. Vehicle on ground look at all steering components while someone racks the steering wheel back and firth. Engine off key on so wheel is unlocked.
Nothing should be loose or moving. Look at tie rod ends ball joints control arms and track bar ends.
Engine still off. Then grab the drive shaft and twist back and firth while looking at u joints. There should be no movement. Then each axel. Same thing. Lastly lift the jeep to get the tires off the ground. Grab a tire 3 & 9 o’clock and rock quickly. Everything should move as one. If not the wheel bearings msy be bad. No clicking or looseness. Then grab 12 & 6 o’clock and shake same should be solid. If not the ball joints.
If its tough to tell You could place a large screwdriver or pry bar between the knuckle and axel and lightly pry looking for movement.
Same with control arms pry between the frame and end.
Also push up on each side of the sway bar. The links should show solid connections.

Last edited:
I never asked what size tires and what kind? If you put larger tires like 33x10.50 r 15 on stock rims they will rub the control arms at full turn. When at speed you are less likely to turn that far.

Dry steer test. Vehicle on ground look at all steering components while someone racks the steering wheel back and firth. Engine off key on so wheel is unlocked.
Nothing should be loose or moving. Look at tie rod ends ball joints control arms and track bar ends.
Engine still off. Then grab the drive shaft and twist back and firth while looking at u joints. There should be no movement. Then each axel. Same thing. Lastly lift the jeep to get the tires off the ground. Grab a tire 3 & 9 o’clock and rock quickly. Everything should move as one. If not the wheel bearings msy be bad. No clicking or looseness. Then grab 12 & 6 o’clock and shake same should be solid. If not the ball joints.
If its tough to tell You could place a large screwdriver or pry bar between the knuckle and axel and lightly pry looking for movement.
Same with control arms pry between the frame and end.
Also push up on each side of the sway bar. The links should show solid connections.

ok, I printed out the things you said to do on the tests, and will get started quick as I can on them. The list sounds as if it should cover everything possible to check and how to do, I appreciate it..! My tires are stock size and rims are also. :shades:

well, checked out all the items everyone wrote about and could not find any problems with any of the recommended items to check ...weird huh ? but thanks to all who replied, at least now I know what to check for on front end problems...

Back