Is a Jeep worth it? WTB

Cyn09

So I've been wanting a Jeep (Wrangler) for sometime now but I just haven't brought myself to get one... I keep hearing about the "death wobble" and it kind has me hesitant. Do all Jeeps do this? Does it stop after a few minutes or what? I hear it starts up at about 40mph but when does it quit?

Thanks!!!

Hi CYN09,
I have no problem with mine, mine is a 78 so kin of old.
I have not had any problem. Mine is not lifted. everything is as close to OEM as I can keep it.
It does great up to 80 mph.
Great in city also,other than the clutch will wear out your foot.
I'm sure the guru's on here can fill you in though on the wobble.
I suspect it would be caused by a bad stabilizer. Too much rough playing.
Have a good one,
Tison

Is a Jeep worth it?
Absolutely, yes!

Do all Jeeps do this?
No they don't but it can happen. It is a problem with quite a few coil sprung trucks and not just Jeeps. It means that something is out of adjustment and can be fixed pretty readily by someone familiar with the problem. Most 4wheel drive shops can diagnose and fix it.

Does it stop after a few minutes or what?
It usually starts after hitting a bump or at certain speeds and will stop when you slow down.

I had it on my TJ but it was more of a slight wobble and not the full blown death wobble. As my tires wore, I would get a slight wobble at about 35-40 if i hit a bump just right. It would go away by just slowing down a bit then it was fine and I'd continue on my way. It went away after I got new tires. It started again as those wore and a new trackbar fixed the problem.

Buy a Jeep and don't concern yourself over any problems that "might" occur. You will love it regardless.

I suspect it would be caused by a bad stabilizer. Too much rough playing.

It is not caused by a bad stabilizer but many people think it is because replacing it can mask the symptoms for awhile. The cause is still there and will likely return unless you fix the actual problem.

Welcome to jeeps.com :welcome: Please,don't let the dreaded "death wobble" stop,you from living your dream to own a jeep , there will always be someone there to help,or give advise , like us.
Jeepz.com comes from a long line of members that have various experience ownership and maintenance wise. Any jeep that has not been well inspected or even maintained will eventually experience this as it is caused mainly by worn parts that cause misalignment . When tires don't track as they should and can't get back into the line they were meant to follow , you will get this horrific vibration which you will feel straight up into the palms of your hands. My last experience with it was chiefly a trac bar but I knew a front end rebuild was abound. Having past that , I haven't seen or felt " death wobble" about ten years . A jeep is not prone to death wobble by name , it is the lack of maintenance that some owners irresponsibly believe that a jeep is tough as nails and will last forever on its own. True , a jeep IS tough as nails but parts wear like any other vehicle and must be changed. Like any other vehicle you will ever own , you'll want to get a good inspection by a trusted mechanic who knows jeeps & 4WD vehicles. Your main concern is a good body and chassis followed by a good engine , transmission & transfer case and axles.
Of course all else such a/c and a stereo for example count ( your paying for , so it's got to work ) too but always remember why your buying a jeep as opposes to a Nissan Altima or something.
You want it to work right and last . Start with a good jeep , take best care of it and it will take best care of you and never leave you stranded. Well , we always pray to the God of jeeps that our jeep will be spared from internal and external demise but it is our duty as jeep owners to care for our jeep as we would our first born. To,summaries , yes , if you love jeeps and love driving them , I firmly believe they are worth it. Every time I fix something on mine and it feels better than before , I tell myself " your luck , better not let that happen again !" If we keep everything working like any one would on their car ( or should) , the only thing left to complain about is the gas mileage ( maybe even the insurance ?) . Owned my '92 cherokee since 2001 and got me to work EVERY snow storm , back from Pennsylvania in a couple and a bunch of trips,upstate and in the trails . Not quite like the energizer bunny , but if I do my part , it will . You have to tune , change fluids , brakes ,etc. But you have to do this to every vehicle you own if you want it to last and be dependable. So,it's no different . Plus , what economy car can get through two feet of snow ? I expect to hear from more members since you ask a very good question .
Best of luck in your decision and thank you for your membership here at Jeepz.com !

I knew someone would jump in that knew what they were talking about, I'll remember its not a stabilizer issue.
Like most, someone told me that, and it stuck.
Thanks for straightening that out.
Tison

Awesome. Thanks yall! I've got two small kids so I don't want to be minding my business one day and then be totally unprepared should the wobble start (and I don't mean that dance move lol) ... I'm lookin at an 07, is there anything particular with this year that I should be aware of? Sorry for all the questions but i appreciate the answers!! :rolleyes:

My TJ Wrangler (2002) has a 4.5" Rubicon Express Long Arm lift and has never given me death wobble. Nor did it when it was stock. I think death wobble seems to be associated with lifts and other mods that lack engineering finesse. Buy a Jeep without wobble on the thebtest drive and you're good to go. Make mods one at a time and if the wobble shows up, you will know what mod caused you it. I suppose it could start later from wear but that seems less common.

Getting an alignment at a shop that knows what they are doing will kill the wobble. I lifted my Comanche 3" and had no wobble until a delivery truck hit me and knocked my alignment out of whack. I had to drive back from Ouray, CO to Seattle with my tires getting chewed up the whole way. Left front went through all 6 (2 spares) in that short of distance.

Back