'04 Jeep GC Laredo, V6 4x4 - Noise when applying brakes

ATL_JeepGC2004

Hope someone can shed some light on this.

I have a 04 JGC v6 4x4 that makes a strange noise when the brakes are applied. The noise seems to come from behind the center console - mid way up just below the temp controls. I took it to one dealer and they had no ideas! They said their 'noise' guy was off today.
I've had the whole brake system worked on, new pads, rotors, fluid, etc. Was told the booster and cylinder were fine.
The noise is kinda like a growling or a marble rolling around. It stays until I take my foot off the brake. It happens in 2WD, 4WD, and even if coasting in N. Occasionally I hear it when going over a bump.
Something is obviouly worng.
Any clues anyone?
Am going to take it to another dealer and see if they can figure it out.
Anyone know any good Jeep shops just north of Atlanta?

Thanks!

Possibly a front axle pinion bearing, t. case, front drive shaft u-joint. those 3 wouldbe the first i would check.

Thanks. Will do.

Noticed something else today too.....might be related.
Blower does not work on 1,2,3 - only blows at Max.

Could the sound I hear be blower related?

Is there any kind of pressue transfer to the hvac/blower when brake pedal is depressed?

Another friend said the kind sounded somewhat like the noise a playing card makes when attached to the wheel of a bicycle. (Like a blower or fan issue?).

Anyone see a reason why pressing the brake would have anything at all to do with the blower? Just a hunch.

Thanks.

As far as the blower motor is concerned, the lack of 1,2,3 functions and works on high may be caused by a faulty Blower motor resistor.Moving on to the Noise concern, does the noise go away when the blower motor is in the off position?

SOLVED: Re: '04 Jeep GC Laredo, V6 4x4 - Noise when applying brakes

Both Issues solved.

Just got off the phone with the shop. They figured out the noise.
It was apparently an incorrectly routed cable. They rerouted the cable (shifter?) and no more noise. Yeah!

The blower resistor had two bent pins that were no correctly aligned - straightened the pins and reconnected and it now works.

Regards.

Hello, I have the same issue as far as the "cards in the spokes sound". I think it could be a cable as well. I had the transmission overhauled a little over a year ago, at which time they probably disconnected all shifter cables, etc. Which cable needed rerouted? Was it the transmission or transfer case. I have been trying to locate this noise for six months.

Thanks!

Jeff

Back