06 4WD service message

hankdz

I was driving our 06 WK in New England last weekend when the odometer turned 32,000 miles. About 600 miles later a bell sounded and a message stating "service 4WD system" came on in the information center. We looked in the owner's manual for information. The only thing we found was in the service table stating that the transfer case oil should be changed at either 30,000 or 50,000 miles depending on which cycle we use.
I called the local stealer today, spoke with a service representative who didn't know anything about error messages. He did tell me that they had two such services lately. One was for a damaged 4WD transfer case motor and the other was for some wiring problem. We haven't had any transfer case issues that I know of. The last time I used the low range it worked fine. The message came on while we were traveling on an Interstate Highway, not off road. We do travel off pavement for about twenty percent of our use of the vehicle as we live in a very rural area. Off pavement is a combination of state maintained gravel roads in mountainous country, our own mountain road that isn't maintained as well as the state roads, and our own off road property roads (not maintained at all, or so my wife tells me).
Can anyone give me a clue as to why we're getting the message?

so you spend 250 bucks a stealership for them to push the reset button under dash!!!! :D

Back