06 seat height..

06TJ

I have an 06 TJ, and I love it how I have it set up, but the only thing I wish I could change is the height of the drivers seat. Highway driving I feel low in the seat, and offroading, the constant leaning out the window at the shock height is just a little awkward. I'm 5'10", but I just want my seat about an inch or so higher. Anyone tried bolting spacers or square stock under the seat frame to raise it that little bit higher? I would figure if you use good hardware that it shouldn't affect the crash rating or anything. What is everyone's opinion or if you've done it, do you have a photo of the modification? Thanks guys!

I would use a square tube as a spacer. If possible, use the entire lenght of the square tube from bolt hole to bolt hole to keep it from putting too much stress on the floorboard.

ALSO, it wouldn't be a bad idea to check out laws & regs of the great state of California. That state is one of, if not, the most restrictive state in the union as far as vehicle mods go. You're prolly running illegal mods now and don't even know it. Alls it takes is one CHP having a bad day and it's confiscated as a "safety hazzard".

First they make seat risers to solve this.

second, the over all seat height changed in 03 due to some type of federal regulation regarding side impact or something.. so if you find a pre 03 tj with a matching interior and the person is really tall, see if they will switch seats, you'll sit a couple inches heigher

Thanks, good info, I'll look into the 03 seat set up and if not,I was thinking the same thing that you mentioned SteelHeadz.. Wonder where one would find the seat spacers jps4jeeps mentioned? Yeah, CA is known for their annoying laws regarding off road rigs.. Good thing I'm moving back to WA in 5 months, they are a lot more lenient in my experience.

Sweet.. Thanks blkrubi, I'm waiting on him to let me know the prices for the 1 1/2 inch kit, and I'll pass it along once I know. This seems like a project I feel like I could comfortably be able to fab myself, but now that I have once again become an apartment dweller, the kind of work I can do in the parking lot is really limited.

Sweet.. Thanks blkrubi, I'm waiting on him to let me know the prices for the 1 1/2 inch kit, and I'll pass it along once I know. This seems like a project I feel like I could comfortably be able to fab myself, but now that I have once again become an apartment dweller, the kind of work I can do in the parking lot is really limited.

Oh come on. I've installed a hood rack, changed motor oil, changed spark plugs and most recently did my front and rear diff oil change in the parking lot of my apartment. Its not very convenient, and it may technically not be allowed by the leasing company, but it can be done. ;)

Not to say I haven't gotten away with projects, but most of my good tools are in a storage unit and not real convienent. Plus everyone's got that one neighbor who always tattles on everything.. Just whining I guess, used to having a garage to myself, but divorces have a way of taking that away. I looked at that seat spacer kit on Ebay, looks ok I guess, but I still haven't heard back from the other place yet, so I can't compare prices. I like the sound of steel brackets better than reinforced fiberglass, and I really want to go up 1 1/2 inches but 25 bucks obo isn't bad!

You think Cali is strict.. move to the east coast.

I understand, got a ticket for turning right after a full stop at a red light in Framingham, Massachusetts once; I had no idea that wasn’t legal. Then there was the ticket for driving a 1978 short box Chevy 4x4 pickup on a New York parkway. Who new that was a crime. I had Oregon plates, a fresh NY drivers licenses and a Massachusetts insurance card. The cop told me I was lucky he was about to go off shift. Humm…what do you think he meant by that?

Last edited:
I used two hockey pucks under each corner of the seat frame (total of 8 pucks). This raised the seat two inces and allowed me to see the front fenders. One other thing to think about... This puts more stress on the bolts (which you need to change to longer ones). One of the bolts is different and mounts the seat belt. The bolts are metric (on my 05, anyway). Now I can see where I'm going :lol: . Best of luck - John

Hockey pucks? Thats awesome! Hadn't thought of that. I checked into that site mentioned above and the guy called me this morning. His 1 1/2 inch lift is $65, then shipping (about $11) and CA sales tax. On the upside he offers a 10% Military discount, but I opted to do my own thing and not pay 80 bucks for something I can do for $20 or so.

Interesting! I need this. I currently sit on a comfort type seat cushion because I hate sitting so low I feel like a little kid driving if I dont. I am 5'4" That is the one thing about my 06 I do not like.

Well, it took me a while (do you know how hard it is to find hockey pucks in San Diego!?) but I raised my seats 2" and LOVE it!!! Should have done it a long time ago... Total cost (including the T-50 socket I didn't have..) was $34.50.

seatlift1-1.jpg

seatlift2-1.jpg

seatlift3-1.jpg

seatlift4-1.jpg

Good Deal! That turned out great! That's one good thing about fabing stuff yourself. You save money while fixing somthing yourself.

Definately! Just that little bit made a huge difference in visability, I can see the whole hood and fender now, plus I won't bruise up my arm leaning out while I'm wheeling lol. Thanks for the idea Crazy4Diesels! If you are 5' 10" or less and own an '03 or newer TJ I'd highly recommend it..

You bet. Yep, I'm only 5'9" and I hated driving in tight areas without being able to see. Good to see it worked out for you - John

Back