1979 Cherokee For Sale

cbewing

1979 Jeep Cherokee: Everything original -- Paint, Engine, Transmission, Interior, Wheels.

Attachments

• AUT_JEP2.JPG
    AUT_JEP2.JPG
    82.8 KB · Views: 3,543

How much do you want for it and where are you located. I work with a guy who collects them but there's no point in mentioning it without any details.

The vehicle is in San Diego. I have been informed that I can get as much as $25,000 for it. That is if it is in excellent condition, which it is not.
Craig

i think you might have a better chance buying a lottery ticket before you get anywhere near that kind of money.

Ha! Ha! It's possible that the guy at the parts deparment counter at the Jeep dealership had no idea what he was talking about. However, rarely seen are Jeeps from this time on sale to the public. What would you estimate is the maximum possible value for it, if it's in excellent condition? Alternatively, what would be the maximum amount of money that you would pay for it?

It makes common sense to enter any endeavor after previously gathering information about the endeavor. With that in mind, I am asking $20,000 for the Cherokee.

Look up NADA.com and look up prices on classic car pages. I saw the Cherokee listed for around $9000 and that was top end retail

It makes common sense to enter any endeavor after previously gathering information about the endeavor. With that in mind, I am asking $20,000 for the Cherokee.

:rofl: :funny:

Ok...ok....sorry....oh, man, I think I cracked a rib laughing! Seriously, I realize you are asking $20,000 for it, but what do you really think it's worth? What would you pay for it? A vehicle is only worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it, and sadly, I seriously don't think there's anybody that is going to be willing to pay more than a few hundred dollars for it. Those Jeeps are a dime a dozen around here, most every farmyard has one in it in original condition that is still being used. I think the guy at the parts store saw you coming and fed you a line. Sounds like you swallowed it hook, line, and sinker. My advice? Get a second opinion...and a third....and a fourth. Chances are, you'll get the same answers you got here.....methinks you're in for a rude awakening.

However, if you honestly think it's worth that much for a 27 y/o vehicle as common as that, I know where I can get a '79 Ford F150 that I'll sell you for $25,000.

I understand. I think that it's worth $20,000. What's your counteroffer? Of course, if it's not in the ballpark (within a few thousand dollars), then you don't need to bother.
Regarding "Those Jeeps are a dime a dozen around here...", can you give me the names and contact information for those people? If not, then I cannot verify that what you say is true.
Other people have offered me several thousand dollars for the vehicle. Yes, I will seriously consider their offers. I was awakened 2-1/2 years ago when I began researching its potential value.
Thanks for the entertainment. I have a feeling that it could continue for awhile.

do google searches and such because from what i've found you will not gear near as much unless it was sparkling clean paint and no work needed whatsoever. I also recommend going to www.NADA.com and do the classic car pricing. When i did the baiscs is could see in your photo here is what NADA quoted:
Original MSRP: $7,411
Low Retail Average Retail High Retail Base Price

$2,250 $6,075 $8,250 Options

Full Size Jeep 401 V8 Engine 20% 20% 20% TOTAL PRICE $2,700 $7,290 $9,900
I didn't know what engine size but i listed the large Jeep V8.

Using NADA, the specs to use to find my Jeep are (1) 4x4 4-door "Station Wagon Chief", and (2) Full Size Chrysler 360 V8 Engine. (I believe that it is a chief because is has the Indian chief head logos on the front quarter panels. However, the (original) pinstripes read "Cherokee" without "Chief".) It also has air conditioning and an automatic rear window. So, "High Retail" is in the $9,000 range. If one sells the vehicle to a collector, would he/she pay as much as $20,000? It's possible.

So, "High Retail" is in the $9,000 range. If one sells the vehicle to a collector, would he/she pay as much as $20,000? It's possible.

Not bloody likely. Even if your Jeep was worth $20,000, which it obviously isn't, a collector would not pay that price for it. Considering the fact that collectors have much more extensive knowledge of Jeeps than you do, plus the fact that they also have access to the same report from NADA, you'd be lucky to get more than a few thousand out of a collector, or anyone else for that matter. What you have is not a collector's item. What you have is an old vehicle.

Now you're saying your Jeep lists at "High Retail", but I don't believe you have an understanding of the condition a vehicle needs to be in to attain the "High Retail" value. Just because it has original paint, body, interior, etc., does not mean it's in perfect, or pristine, shape. In order to be in that shape, it would have to have been stored in a climate controlled building and regularly maintained, rarely driven, and not have a speck of rust anywhere. The paint would have to look like showroom floor quality, and not have even so much as a slight blemish anywhere. Even if you have no dents or dings, if it has been driven outside, it will most likey have blemishes in the paint, and definitely have rust, if even on the frame and bare metal parts. At best, for the age, you might have a vehicle in "fair" condition. Discount that if there is any sign of fluid leakage from anywhere on the vehicle, signs of wear on the movable parts, etc. Unless you can present the vehicle to me personally so I can lay eyes and hands on it, I cannot verify what you say is true.

Bottom line: If you want to sell it, put a $2000 tag on it and take whatever offer you can get. If you don't want to sell it, hang on to it and keep trying to convince people that it's worth $20,000. Just not people who have anything more than the slightest of intelligence, otherwise you are wasting your breath and their time.

I'd like to continue this thread, but I need to move on in order to take care of both this issue and other issues. I've enjoyed conversing with you and I appreciate your information and feedback. Best of luck.

This thing, in mint condition, mint mind you, should be worth between 3500-4000 dollars. I wouldn't pay any more than that. I think the best option for this would be to try to find some rube that would trade you something really valuable for it. Not to say it's a crap vehicle, which it is definately not, but it's not a 69 Shelby Mustang either.

Dude,... seriously,... I just want to help you out on this one. I feel kinda bad. I had an 86 Full Size Bronco. We put $15,000 of lift and tires on it, $20,000 of custom interior into it including dash, custom fab'd box, speakers, the works, full body of restoration of engine and chassis,.... won some shows,.... and still only got $25k for it, and it was TRULY one of a kind. I'm not trying to burst your bubble,.... I know you got stoked when you heard $25k,... but in truth,... $2500 is more likely. Again,... not trying to bash you. Go into some other boards and post up that you have it for sale, the condition it is in, post some pics and ask for offers. don't tell them you want to sell it for $25k,... you'll get laughed off the board.

I hope this helps,... and good luck.

Back