1999 Cherokee Issue

embaum

Hello all. Need some advice about my 1999 Cherokee Sport 4.0L with 118,000 miles...

I've been having an issue lately with the engine's revving level. Just the other day I turned the key to start it up and the tachometer started bouncing around wildly. I kept the car in idle and watched the needle bounce up and down (engine sort-of sounded like it was struggling to stay fired up), but it seemed to go away when I put it in drive. On my way to work today I noticed the same thing happen while I was driving about 25 mph...the tachometer started dropping real low when I was cruising without my foot off the gas and the engine finally just shut off while I was idling at a stop sign. When I started it back up I was able to move again, but noticed that I would speed up, take my foot off the gas, and the engine's revs would drop real low again unexpectedly. Has anyone else had an issue like this before? I've got a few ideas as to what could be the problem but I'm definitely not an expert. What are your thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Would that also apply to why the engine nearly shuts off while I have my foot on the gas sometimes?

Make sure the throttle body is clean. Check the IAC and the IAC port and make sure the pintle on the iac is clean and can move freely..

Back