2 door cherokee

Stalefishsk8er

Hey guys I'd just recently bought a 96 two door XJ with a 5 speed and needs to be state inspected. I've gotten the vehicle inspected once and found out I have some rust issues in the back of the jeep so is it better to weld a sheet of metal then to put ribbits in it?

It is better to weld than rivet, BUT, what kind of holes are we talking about? Pin holes or can you throw a cat through them? Is it structural or not?
Pics would be best. Most of us can't read.

tntchitwood said:
It is better to weld than rivet, BUT, what kind of holes are we talking about? Pin holes or can you throw a cat through them? Is it structural or not?
Pics would be best. Most of us can't read.

Holes big enough to put several .68 caliber paintballs through. The rust spots are near the back right over the frame rail on the passenger side of the jeep

That is usually where the rear spring hanger starts to rust from. Check and make sure it has not effected the spring hanger, (from under the jeep). If it has, the spring hanger will have to be replaced or a new one made.
As for the floor, clean it up with a wire wheel/ brush, lay your new metal on and weld all the way around.
This is a structural part of the body, it would be better to remove the rusty area and replace with a new piece of metal, but it can be patched, and welding is a must. This is fairly easy to fix, just time consuming. The most important part is to check the status of that rear spring hanger.

tntchitwood said:
That is usually where the rear spring hanger starts to rust from. Check and make sure it has not effected the spring hanger, (from under the jeep). If it has, the spring hanger will have to be replaced or a new one made.
As for the floor, clean it up with a wire wheel/ brush, lay your new metal on and weld all the way around.
This is a structural part of the body, it would be better to remove the rusty area and replace with a new piece of metal, but it can be patched, and welding is a must. This is fairly easy to fix, just time consuming. The most important part is to check the status of that rear spring hanger.

I'm gonna head to a local junkyard sometime this week and take the floor out of one there jeep cherokees

U need to chain weld the floor because a full weld will melt the pan. The rivets will also work with a little bondo to finish.

Back