2" lift without buying a kit or springs

JRSpen2009

Does anyone know if I can use 2" lift blocks front and rear to lift my '88 Wrangler??? Or do I have to buy a lift kit????

first you would have to do a spring over axle conversion which will gain you about three inches anyway

I don't believe so, if you have stock suspension it is spring UNDER now and blocks will lower it not raise it.

Your options are a kit, add-a-leaf, or spring-over conversion. A kit being the easiest and most reliable option. At only 2 inches all you should need ar the springs, the stock shocks SHOULD be ok. A spring-only kit can be found pretty cheap.

edit - by cheap I mean....there are lots of guy on here and around that do a 2" spring kit only to want more a year later. You should be able to find some take-off near new springs for a song, just gotta do a little surfing. New runs $4-500 or so.

Last edited:
Ok ... what's involved in doing a spring over??? Is there a bracket kit or do I just unbolt the u-bolts and slide the axles out and back under the springs??? What about lift shackles??

A SOA requires purchasing parts, welding, re-aligning and a whole host of other dynamics that can be dangerous if not done right. Spring wrap on the rear axle (as it broken parts) and caster/steering on the front and driveline angles on both being the primary issue. If you choose this please do your homework first there are lots of how-to articles here and elsewhere. And according to what I have read it isn't any cheaper over all than springs.

To get 2" of lift with shackles multiply by 2, by this I mean to get 2" of lift you will have to ADD 4" to the length of the current shackle. For one it looks really tacky, it also affects your overall stability.

If all you really want is bigger tires, think about trimming fenders, its a bunch cheaper.

Last edited:
If I were you, I would not go to Spring Over Axle (SOA). I would go for a lift kit. SOA will give you a smoother ride, but then you have to worry about axle flex, and you will need to fab many things and weld quite a few others, which, from the questions you are asking, I will assume you dont typically do...

Lift kits will typically have everything you need to lift the Jeep, so it will be less of a headache for you. And I would DEFENETLY stay away from shackle lifts (unless limited to no more than 1" longer shacles than what the stock shackles are). Keep in mind that for a shackle lift, you need twice the length of the lift, which means that to lift the Jeep 4", you need to extend the shackle by 8", and that's not just ugly, it's DANGEROUS.

If you want to start simple, try a 1" body lift (I would not go higher than that on BL either!), and maybe combine it with a 2.5" suspension lift. If you dont wheel much, that should clear 33's without need for a SYE or Tc drop...

I've done a lot of welding and fabrication on street /strip cars, and own torches, welding gear, but I've never done any 4x4 stuff. I'll just keep her where she's at until the motor swap is done. Thanks for the Info guys!!! I appreciate the help!!!

I've done soa's on cj's but not wrangler's, but everything should be about the same. It won't give you 2" it should give you about 4-6". There is alway's pro's and con's about anything you do to a vehicle. I've never had a problem with axle wrap and I would rather have the extra clearence a soa provide's.

If you're looking to get 2" lift on a YJ on the cheap, you'd best be served by combining a 1" body lift and maybe getting shackles that are 1 1/2" longer than stock. That'll net you about 1 3/4" total lift between the two.

To get any more lift than that you really need either lift springs or to do a SOA conversion.

You can go up to 3" on a body lift, but over 1" they get quite noticeable and I have doubts to the sturdiness of a 3" BODY LIFT.

There are some enormous shackles out there and some claim up to 2" (or more?) of lift, but keep in mind two things:
1. They net approximately HALF of the length over stock. What that means is if the shackles are 1.5" longer than stock, they'll give you approx 3/4" of lift.
2. Adding length to the front shackles adds caster into your steering geometry, and can have seriously adverse effects on your steering if you go too high.

From my own personal experience, I would recommend saving up for a decent suspension lift, but if that is not feasible then try the above.

TC

Back