20 gal. Fuel Tank Questions - Help me please

60 Biscayne

Next saga in my quest to get this 2004 4.0 running right in my 1989 Wrangler.
As you may remember, I purchased & installed the Late 80's Ford (Big Truck) type E2000 Externally Mounted Fuel pump to supply this 4.0 with the pressure it needed (like 49.2 +/- 2) per the specs........... well it put out like 75-80 & "this would blow some seals or something". The 2004 does not have a regulator at the fuel rail so I purchased & installed a 1998 Grand Cherokee Combo Filter & regulator which now puts out like 35 which I guess is OK because the motor seems to run OK. Another thing, in order to get this set up to work at all, I had to close off the fuel return completely.
The next or current problem is that the E2000 pump starts to make noise - like a straining or surgeing sound & the engine seems to flutter & even has crapped out once so I'm getting nervous!
I think the E2000 pump isn't sucking as fast as it spits out!
Since my original 4.2 was carbureted I do not have a pump in the tank!
So yesterday, I pulled a 20 gallon Plastic tank with the electric pump & sender etc out of what was when parked a running 1994 Wrangler. I figure if I have the pump that's in the tank feed the E2000 that should cure the surgeing problem. I may than buy this universal adjustable regulator to dial in the exact required spec pressure.
So just so I don't screw things up here's what I need to know:
1) There are 3 wires going to the pump or top of the tank - where do they go? Which is Hot etc.?
A) Black which is a Ground
B) Orange which goes to a connector than is broken spliced etc......
c) Tan which turns to Blue at this connector
There are 2 fuel lines at the pump (which is not round but rectangular & held in with screws) - How do I tell which of the two is the supply line & the other must than be a return line correct?
Any Help is apprechiated

If i remember..the orange is hot(from ecu) and the tan is the gauge wire. If you got the whole thing you dont need the other pump and all that. Think the line on the left(looking from the rear of tank) is the outlet. I'll try to crawl around today and double check.

Hay don't bother yourself!
I couldn't take the suspense so it was simple........ I pulled the pump out. So now I know what's what!
I had to pull the pump anyway because I replaced all the original Jeep instrument panel gauges with Sunpro White faced mechanical gauges. I never had much luck with the Jeep gauges, they would work sometimes if they felt like it other times not at all or you couldn't trust them so screw them, I just hope these work OK
The new ones show that the engine charges, has boocoo oil pressure, vacuum is right on & I havent run it up to temp yet but I have no reason to see why it shouldn't be right on the money. I never tried this type of aftermarket fuel gauge but my old one didn't workat all so its got to be an improvement!
I had to go in thru the larger fuel punp opening to install the new sender for the new fuel gauge. If I ever figure it out I'll take some photos & post them. The gauges really look cool!
I took a piece of redwood I had laying around cut it to the size of the original plastic - whittled out the instrument panel plastic to allow the mechanical gauges to fit & walla! A Custom Dash just like on TV!

OK...........we've all been following this project for some time now.............so, without further adieu......

:thisthreadisworthle

Back