2004 TJ RHD conversion

armyjeep43055

I'm working on my 2004 TJ that im making into a WWII army jeep replica,or tribute would be a better word.I want something truly one of a kind,so I thought about doing a RHD conversion,since mine is a 5spd manual,it would be the only RHD-TJ-Manual trans i have ever seen,possibly the only one in north america.i purchased a RHD Mercedes/Jeep steering box on ebay,havent purchased anything else.Looks like i will have to fab the steering box support bracket to the frame,other than that i think everything will switch over.Ive never been down this road but it looks pretty straight forward.any advice? tips? etc? anything helpful is greatly appreciated!!!!!

Sounds interesting post some pics

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz

why bother? just go buy a RHD postal TJ and just swap in a 5 speed, probably WAY less work than trying to source the steering compnents, modifying the frame for the steering gear and swapping the dash around.

to add, you will also have to get a RHD euopean heater box assembally (it's different than LHD unit), also your fire wall is not configured for RHD, so you will have to modify it extensively, re-route the brakes and ABS module.

Sounds interesting post some pics

dont have alot of pics,here are a few,yes it reall is a 2004 tj,i bought it new

Attachments

• jeep3.jpg
    jeep3.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 640
  • jeep2.jpg
    jeep2.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 4,594
  • jeep7.jpg
    jeep7.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 625
roll bar removed,2.5" lift with 33's,i could run 35's with no problem,4.0,5spd,rear metal work is 12ga armor plate (with 1/8" plate underneath)will stop a 7.62 round cold

wheels are 99 explorer 16x7s,i run 235/85/16s,E rated,60lbs of air on the trail,never got stuck,never had a flat,bone stock underneath except for 2.5 lift kit.with the wheel combo i could easily run 35s with less than 100$ invested in the kit.lost my shop in the divorce,so i havent had the time or place to finish it

front bumper is double wall 1/4" plate rectangle stock with 1"bar stock behind it,front tow hook stands i made from solid weld,still not finished..the spare tire carrier i made from a old cj swing out carrier.where the tailgate used to be is 1/8"plate on the outside,1/8"plate on the inside with 1" sq stock inside

being a army vet i wanted to do a tribute to the old army jeeps,i painted it iraq desert tan just the hummers used in iraq,but when i go to repaint it im gonna use the correct olive drab used circa 1952 M38/korea era army jeep..

forgot to mention i cut the orig tj seats down about a foot to more resemble the old army jeep seats,i need to have them recovered.i also modified the orig roll bar so that the seat belt mounts are below the seat and not visible but still very fuctional.i kept my old army bag from boot camp and use it as a pass seat cover,its badly faded from the sun but still legible

i want do to a RHD conversion because its a challenge and no one else has one,i get tired of seeing the same old same old TJ's,mine will be and is the only one like it on the planet,period.future plans include: faux ma deuce mounted to the bed,media blast and rhino line the floorboard and underneath,deuce and a half military 60 spline axles,5:38s front and rear,atlas2,toying with diesel converison idea,full military/army lettering/logo's....just takes time and money,something i dont have either of,lol...jeep is located in newark,ohio if anyone wants to see it,email me anytime:armyjeep43055@yahoo.com

sounds badass man
thanks bro! i get a kick out of every non-jeep person that comes into my store and says:"what year is it?" i always tell them i will give them 5$ if they geuss it right,out of maybe 200 people NOT ONE has got it right,even from a few so-called "jeepers"

the army theme is because A:i'm a army vet.B:general patton is my hero.C:a tribute to all who have served.D:to **** off the liberals that live next door to me.E:the right hand drive idea is just because its a challenge to do it

to add, you will also have to get a RHD euopean heater box assembally (it's different than LHD unit), also your fire wall is not configured for RHD, so you will have to modify it extensively, re-route the brakes and ABS module.
if you look closely at any TJ,you will see the provision for left or right side battery box,the dash is modular and designed to accept either lhd or rhd,i dont care about the hvac issues since i wont be driving it in the winter.i really dont feel like moving any track bars,etc,but will if i have to.the steering box doesnt know or care what side the track bar is on.front sway bar is long gone(better articulation),i never missed it since i dont drive it like a ferrari.i never got sway bars and a/c on a jeep,but hey im no engineer so what do i know.i dont have abs and if i did it would be long gone.thanks for the input!

Wow is a great idea and I am pretty sure it would look awesome! Good luck and keep us informed

What you've got so far looks great! As far as I know though, WWII Jeeps were left-hand drive.
It's your time and your money but to me it seems like a lot of work for no advantage unless your day job is delivering mail.

i think it looks cool man. as long as you like it, keep on going.

is that a black lion or a blue spade training battalion number on your bag? i can't remember the battalion number i was in but i was in delta company of hte black lions in feb, march, and april of 95, then delta company of the 501st for airborne school, and then delta company for ait back at fort jackson, annnnddd finally, delta detachment 3bg 24id till we were reflagged as delta detachment 3bg 3id. always assigned to delta company the whole time i was in the first time. got out in 98 and then went back in in 2003 and assigned to hhc 71st trans till i got out again.

funny though, all those delta assignments and only fort benning and fort jackson for the whole three years i was in the first time.

Back