2014 Cherokee KL tackles the Rubicon Trail

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member
Jeep took the new Cherokee out on the Rubicon trail. While it looks like they did some real obstacles, the Cherokee's articulation (or lack of) may be a problem.

jeeps.jpg

rubicon-trail.jpg

trail.jpg

News: Cherokee takes on Rubicon Trail

I just can't bring myself to like that front end and the squinty headlights. And what is that, about 3 inches of drop on the back axle? Meh.

When they came out with the square headlights on the wrangler, I didn't like it at all. But after a while it grew on me after I owned one and was looking at it every day.
I don't see it happening with the 2014 cherokee though, it's just ugly, no class at all. The looks of the newer wranglers I am not all that crazy about, they are just screwing it all up.
Maybe I'm getting to be an old dog stuck on the looks of the old jeeps.

When they came out with the square headlights on the wrangler, I didn't like it at all. But after a while it grew on me after I owned one and was looking at it every day.
I don't see it happening with the 2014 cherokee though, it's just ugly, no class at all. The looks of the newer wranglers I am not all that crazy about, they are just screwing it all up.
Maybe I'm getting to be an old dog stuck on the looks of the old jeeps.

First thing they got wrong was long ago when jeeps and four wheel drives became SUV's .
since then, the jeep , along with all four wheel drives has undergone change that was just detrimental to the purpose. It was supposed to be a vehicle to go anywhere , do anything. Ever since the phrase SUV has been coined , now your insurance went up , you had to get a top for your pick up truck or register it as a commercial vehicle limiting where it can be driven.
I was fine when they had no power steering , no power brakes , manual trans and t-case and ate gas . Did we really need government restrictions placed on us ? Are we really in such large numbers that our jeeps need restriction and compliance ? Some of the environmental laws I can understand , but then why does your insurance go up ? What does shielding a catalytic converter so to prevent igniting tall grass on trails have to do with insurance ? Did a JEEPER ever sue the government for making a vehicle unsafe ? We accept responsibility for ourselves and look after our own rigs. Since when did we ask the government to set standards for our sport and recreation ? Yeah , we can blame the yuppies all we want , but we need to let the government and the manufacturer know they are charging good money for something we did not ask for .

I'm sorry but there just isn't enough jeepers out there to keep the Jeep company alive. Vehicles like the one pictured above still serve an incredible role in the Jeep community. My opinion of the new Cherokee is three fold. First, supply and demand. the jeeper group is not large enough to support an entire company, I'm sorry but its not, and I am a whole lot happier having the mall crawlers driving around in those then the wranglers.

second, I agree with you guys when you say that the older jeeps look better, but if the jeep name stopped with the YJ or the TJ then we wouldn't have any jeep company at all, or it would be strictly making mini vans... Who wants that? I love my JK third in my list, My family, My Dog, My Jeep. and if Jeep had stopped then there would be no JK, and the Jeep name would eventually vanish. Jeep has to keep up with the times, Fuel economy is a big one, plus modernization. I believe that so far Jeep has done a pretty good job sticking to its roots and remaining modern.

Third. If it can do the Rubicon Trail its jeep enough for me. thats all there is to it. If someone wants to come wheeling with me in it I'll have no objection.

No one can argue with that , if we don't support jeep , there won't be one to support. Nothing against Ford , but if they lead the pact , that'll be a shame as jeep was ther from day one , even if Ford did get a contract to build the GPW. Guess we got to look at the big picture and be thankful for what we got . Wheel said , ScubaDude.

Back