258 air cleaner help!!

kenjeepfreak

I was wondering if I could remove that monstrosity of an air cleaner thing on top of my engine, and just put one of those round air cleaner holders on top of my carb. What the heck are all those hoses and stuff going into the big black thing anyway? Do I really need them to keep running well or not? Help please.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

if i were you yank that carb & air filter off like your yanking a lawnmower. and get a new webber carb for it!
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Those "hoses and stuff" are vacuum lines, and yes, they're pretty important. Bob has a good idea, but an even better upgrade would be the Mopar MPI kit. [addsig]

I would love to, but what do I do with all those hoses and stuff? Would simply putting a new carb on her get rid of those hoses, or do I just plug them up and forget about them? I've put a carb on a 71 Chevelle, and it was pretty simple, but she didn't have all those vacuum hoses hooked up either. [addsig]

Getting the Mopar kit, does away with all that crap! The mopar kit is modeled after the 94' wrangler motor. It supplies all necessary (needed) vac hoses, and a K&N air filter!

Otherwise, yes the hoses are needed. They supply vacuum to certain acutators here & there on the block. It's amazing how complicated some engineer made these things, all in the name of lower emmissions
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Back