258 swap for 4.0

jamnut

Hi all,
I have purchased a (bare) 4.0 long block that has been stroked to a 4.6 with roller rockers that i would like to install in my 74 cj that currently has a 258. Has anyone done this conversion that could advise me on the needed items to complete this prodject.
Thanks,
John

As what parts your going to need to do the engine swap, I cant help you but JP magazine tried a stroker project, heres the link so you can see what they did.

Ooh. Sounds like fun. Well, are you planning on a carb or FI setup? I would think you could go either way.

Since you asked for items to complete, I will give some items that will complete. hehe...

I would buy a Clifford 2bbl intake and get a Holley 7448 2bbl carb. Then I would get a nice 6 into 1 header that goes through 2 1/2 in. exhaust and a glasspack. Then a D.U.I ignition or perhaps even a TFI ignition upgrade. Oh yeah, I would take off the fan and fuel pump in exchange for an electric fan and pump... Ahh, sweet dreams tonight. :wub:

After a long chat with my mechanic friend over the latest trucks show (Power Block TV). Trucks has started a stroker engine project for there cheap Cherokee. The first issue just aired and they just tore it down. Now to the argument, your in luck because you can use the earlier ECM which a OB I reader can be used on, that you can reprogram. It uses a stacked registry instead on a later (97+)EMC that uses straight line programming that so far has resisted re-programming to its code.

Thanks for all the ideas... I'm leaning towards the Howell injection on top of a clifford manifold. DUI ignition and electric fan. My delema is the serpintine system, since nothing on my current setup will work. I guess i need a doner 4.0 to rob the pully's. any other thoughts? Thanks for your help John

Back