31" and 13mpg

cali_92

is there something wrong with my engine if im only getting 13mpg with my 2.4cyl and only runnig 31's? im just curious
i shift at low rpms and idk...
just curious to what other ppl get.

I have a 2.5l,5 speed with stock gears,4/11 i think.I get about 17mpg on the highway and around 14mpg in town.I do have a CAI which did help some with fuel mileage.

If you must know, i get 8-9 MPG on my CJ7 and 18-20MPG on my Dodge Dakota. The biggest issue with the fuel economy on my CJ is the gear ratio. Someday i will make time to get it done or do it myself.

I'm a fan of fuelly .com - it's great for tracking and compairing milage

Shoot I got 8 inches sitting on 33's with 4.56 gears. My engine is a straight six 5 speed and I get about 20 miles to the gallon! I can't believe it.

My Jeep loves sucking the gas. I've got the 4.0 with 31's and stock 3.07 gearing. I'm not sure on MPG, but it ain't good. :D

I don't know where you live but cold weather and 'winter gas' will lower your mileage noticeably.

91 yj ,33" tires,2.5 engine,18mpg interstate.

Last edited by a moderator:
I get about 17mpg average on BFG 31's with the 2.5L/5-speed. Stock gearing. I built myself a 3" intake and swapped on a 4.0L TB. I was getting about 15mpg average before the mods, so it does help.

well i already have an air raid intake, throttlebody spacer, headers, exhaust, if i put a 4.0L TB on it will i have to change my intake and how much does that help? and how much do they cost? i thought 4.0 TB just allow u to use more gas and get more air...

Is your speedo calibrated correctly? According to the EPA, your Jeep gets 15 city and 18 highway with stock tires - Gas Mileage of 1993 Jeep Wrangler 4WD

Is your speedo calibrated correctly? According to the EPA, your Jeep gets 15 city and 18 highway with stock tires - Gas Mileage of 1993 Jeep Wrangler 4WD

Well... my speedo is a couple off @ 45mph and three off @ 55mph, according to my GPS. When I'm actually doing 45mph my speedo will read 43mph. But when I figured up my mileage I used the distance measurements on my GPS, which are theoretically accurate within inches. It's more likely that your speedo is off and that is why you seem to get lower mileage than me.

The 4.0L throttle body is basically a direct bolt-on. You will need to swap out the sensors from your 2.5L throttle body, but you will not need a different intake. The throttle body seat on the intake has the exact same bolt pattern, the only difference is the bore. You can bore out the throttle body seat on your 2.5L intake with a dremel and it will also help, but that is optional; you'll still get a gain even if you don't dremel it out.

Originally Posted by robo83
Shoot I got 8 inches sitting on 33's with 4.56 gears. My engine is a straight six 5 speed and I get about 20 miles to the gallon! I can't believe it.

who knows if its right, but i dont have to fill up as much as my friend (hes got a f-150) and we both drive the same distances and all that

Back