4.0 header

PA-XJ2

hey, i have a 97 TJ(4.0L auto) and im going to install a header but im not sure witch on to go with, Edelbrock shortys, or pacesetter full length header?
-AnT

I also have a 97 TJ 4.0L and just replaced my header last week. I researched quite a bit and narrowed it down to two companies: Borla or JBA...and I ended up going with the JBA shorty (cat4ward). I don't know much about the two you listed. One of the big reasons I chose JBA is because they are headquartered locally (San Diego) so if I have any problems I can go right to them...plus I like supporting the smaller local business. My research turned up a LOT of happy customers and good referrals. This is what they say on their website:

Jeep vehicles are know for being rugged machines that can go just about anywhere. With rugged designs and time proven engineering, these purpose built vehicles are right at home when venturing off the beaten path from Moab to the Rubicon. Most Jeeps are powered by the trusty 4.0L I-6. Unfotunately, the 4.0L has always suffered from an inefficient and crack prone exhaust. Many Jeep enthusiasts know the frustration of a cracked factory exhaust manifold or a trail damaged exhaust system - not to mention a need for more torque. Until now, there hasn't been a quality solution to these issues. JBA's engineering team spent over 2 years developing the most durable and best performing header and exhaust system possible. These systems are designed for the hardcore user to get you the power and torque needed to conquer anything in your path.

JBA Cat4ward® Headers :: Wrangler 4.0L
If you own a Jeep powered by the 4.0L I-6, you know that it is a solid dependable powerplant. Depending on what year vehicle you have, you may also know that it is short on power and torque and has a tendancy to crack exhaust manifolds. JBA has spent countless hours developing and testing the ultimate solution for these power and durability challenges. JBA's unique headers designes are crafted from the highest grade materials to ensure lasting performance for your Jeep. The head flange is a one-piece design that is CNC laser cut from 1/2" steel plate to guarantee a tight seal with the head. JBA's collector features a 3/8" flange secured with a 360 degree weld for maximum strength. Each kit includes high quality hardware and gaskets for a professional no-leak installation. Don't settle for low grade materials and inferior designs.

91-99 Jeep Wrangler 4.0L - p/n 1526S

If you own a Jeep powered by the 4.0L I-6, you know that it is a solid dependable powerplant. Depending on what year vehicle you have, you may also know that it is short on power and torque and has a tendancy to crack exhaust manifolds. JBA has spent countless hours developing and testing the ultimate solution for these power and durability challenges. JBA's unique headers designes are crafted from the highest grade materials to ensure lasting performance for your Jeep. The head flange is a one-piece design that is CNC laser cut from 1/2" steel plate to guarantee a tight seal with the head. JBA's collector features a 3/8" flange secured with a 360 degree weld for maximum strength. Each kit includes high quality hardware and gaskets for a professional no-leak installation. Don't settle for low grade materials and inferior designs."

I probably didn't help but thought I would throw my two cents in there since I was just in the same boat and went throught the same process you are going through now. So far I am happy with the decision to go with JBA, but it has only been a week so I can't give a solid review yet.

I found out that this engine is notorious for cracked exhaust manifolds...The wisdom is that if you haven't already replaced your header or aren't in the process of doing it now, then you are about to have to do it... Quite a bit out there on the subject if you are interested.

Check out their website if you are interested. JBA

Good luck!

hey thanks man, i looked at that header, cat forward, dose that mean that it replaces the down pipe?

I had a shop do the install for me so I am not 100% on the answer, but if you look at the installation instructions, they might shed some light. Here is a link for the model I think you need:

http://products.jbaheaders.com/assets/instruction_sheets/1526S.pdf

...or a quick phone call to them might clear it up. I'd assume by the name cat4ward that everything from the cat forward is included...but you know what they say about assumptions! Good luck!

I have a buddy that runs a Banks header and catback exhaust, sounds nice and did add power. not sure on his actual specs though.

i am very happy with the Banks header 3 yrs no leaks dont know about hp gains but throttle responce is much better

Back