4.56 or 4.88

freebird2

I think I'm in need of a better gear ratio, 4.56 or 4.88? Next where is the best place to get the gear conversion kits and do they provide all the parts needed?
Currently I've got 3.73 with D 30 Front and D 44 Rear.

honestly, your going to get 900000 different opinions based on transmission, motor or tire size bla bla bla... If your serious about wheeling and making this a true trail worthy investment, go as deep in your gears as you can.

Like it was said, it depends on what you run. I have 4.88's but I also have the 2.5L. If you have the 2.5L, which comes with 4.10 gears, it is not worth it to get 4.56 (it is too smal of a change to merit the expense).

When I drove my jeep on the street, with 36" tire, 4.0, 5 spd, I ran 4.88 gears, and I regret not going to 5.13 gears

Is this a do it yourself job or should I have professional do it. I got a quote for $600 today and I don't want to pay that much for this job.

I do my own gears, it's really not that hard if you can install a SYE, you can install gears. A bunch of us in my club pooled our money and bought the tools to do it. You WILL need specialized tools that total equal about $400-450 depending on what you go with. it is a trial and error deal though, if you make set up bearings, which will add about $60 to the over all cost, you won't have to constantly press the bearings on and off.

As for the gearing I should have been clearer that was my fault, I typed something, and didn't back space enough... Off road, there were plenty of times that I wished I had been deeper in my gears, less throttle, one of which I ended up on my lid. ( I blame the gears, had nothing to do with the retarded line I wanted to try) street and highway driving were great, With unbalanced Q78 TSL's (10 oz of air soft inside), 70 mph was about as fast as I wanted to go, and I was at about 2800 rpm's.
Probalem is solved with a 231/D300 doubler and 5.38 gears in the 60's so I will have great ratios for crawling, as well as some wheel speed for snow wheeling and steep hills.

If you have no experience in gears, then I do NOT recommend you do them yourself; it is not because it is hard, it is because if you do it wrong it can be VERY expensive, and there is a lot of small adjustments that need to be done just right...

I just installed my first carrier, ring and pinion recently and it took me a while to get it right but as a novice with differentials I was still able to figure it out. I ground out and used the original carrier bearings and inner pinion race to use for setting it up before pressing on the new bearings, but it still was not easy. If you can afford it I would just pay a professional to get it right, but if you are a competent shade-tree mechanic and want to save the money then it can be done at home with a press, bearing puller, deadblow hammer, dial indicator and torque wrench.

Back