4 carbs and a jeep

cerial

Ok sit back and you will hear a tale about a man who bought a yj and what has prevailed.
The thing had a bad fuel fuel pump when first bought. So one was thrown on and the thing fired right up. The weber on top idled great through the 500-4000 range that was until something got sucked into it and that's where the story becomes deranged.
I played with it for a afternoon and the better part of the next day then said f it took it off and went to get a mc from down the way.
I pulled 2 2100's one off a truck and 1 of a car. With the 108 on the side I figured I was set up. Heck the one had a fresh rebuild and the other was in good condition and ready for my new ride.
I got the gasket plate and through on the carb it fired right up then reved and reved some more. Right up to 5k so I tried to drop the idle and around 1500 the thing would bog and spit.
I played with the timing and the got a nifty fuel regulator to but none of these seemed to matter and I thought well these carbs just wont do.
I went back down to the yard with a idea in mind I would pull off a small carter and everything would be fine.
Now knowing about the problems and issues with the bbd I stayed away from the electronics and pulled one off of a dodge truck one from 1973. The thing was rusted and in very wad shape so I had it replaced by a shiny one re manufactured and ready to bust out the gate.
I removed the adapters and the thing bolted right up. After making a new linkage and setting up the manual choke I had everything ready to go and fired the thing up.
The idle was way off so some jetting tunes were in order yes so I moved them around 2 moved the distributior and it fired up reved real high then Died. I can get it to where it runs great at around 1000k and when you drop it down into gear it drops down to around 800 with the brakes on all the way.
But once warm a strange thing seems to happen the idle seems to loop dropping about 400 rpm before returning within a second and this is what puzzles me. The thing will do it a couple times once warmed up and eventually stall.
I have all the lines plugged off except the advance, the pcv, and the heat motor on the side. I plugged the heater(stepper) off and then went on and the looping was still there.
Looking for a leak or something wrong I found absolutely none. May it be the timing so I played with this seemed ok so I went on.
The carter is not dripping at idle and the jetting seems great to me the thing has a manual choke that is not moving at all so what is making this thing die when it warms up will someone please tell me.
Thanks

Well, if you still have that nice 2100, I could give you some tips on how to set it up. Also, if it's revved up really high on every carb, try it without the fuel hose and accelerator linkage hooked up to make sure something's not wrong there.
That is pretty strange, though.

I agree with the 2100. That could have been linkage or the high idle screw adjustment on the choke may have been messing with you. Mine runs great. No ideas about the carter though.

The carter is well gone. cleaned out the weber(the best I could) and through it back on played w it for the afternoon and it runs great 900 idle 500 in gear w brakes.
But now i have a issue with the trans (will post different topic)
thanks for the great help

Back