4 door unlimited

No it is a horrible choice. You should buy a cheap used Chevy vega and drive it into the ground.

Honestly I have a question for you.. What do YOU want? what ever the answer is, do that.

There are so many variables that could make one better than the other, it all really boils down to what fits your application.

The question is will it fit your needs? The new JK's are longer and heavier. The added door makes the rear seat better and more accessible than the TJ's. The longer wheel base will give you some fits on tighter trails but make the off road experience better due to the ease of the 110 inch wheel base over harsher dirt roads. The 3.8 are less torquer than the 4.2 and 4.0 and only come close to the torque ratio at higher RPM's but has better fuel economy when your not wheeling it. The Rubicon will come with with the Dana 44 axles and E-Lockers already set for you, with the 4:1 transfer reduction gears but a newer jeep will come with a factory warrenty...and that beloved new car smell. And the dreaded car payment.

If any of this sounds bad, then no but if nothing sounds bad then yes.
Each class of jeep owners dislike the next model, CJ owners didn't like YJ owners and YJ owners didn't like the TJ when they came out.
But all carry one thing that we as jeep owners like to see...the name JEEP on its side and two solid axles below it.

I think that a stock JK rubicon will be a better family ride around town, and will do better offroad than a stock YJ. You won't have the maintenance issues that you currently have on your 15 year old YJ, but you'll pay 5 times the price for it.

Can your wallet handle a new JK?

There's a lot of mixed opinions on the new JK vs. the TJ, YJ and CJ. As previously stated, the powertrain is a 3.8 liter V6 as opposed to the Inline 6, 4.0 liter. This powertrain originally was a 3.3 liter that has been around for awhile now. Tried and tested mostly on the Chrysler Minivans. It's a stout setup on a front wheel drive minivan and even on the All wheel drive models however, there's no comparison of the same powertrain on a different Body such as the JK. The transmission , T.case , Axles and the Computer software are the variables that enabled this for use in the Jeep Badged 4WD that kept it competitive in the best 4WD out of the box. A lot of JK owners says it drives and feels like a Car instead of a Jeep. some says it's better and some says the TJ's are better. The Choice is yours. I would recommend that you test drive one before you make a final descision..

I'm a little biased against JKs. Over 30 years of inline 6 torque, and they throw in a minivan v6.
Like everyone else said, buy what you can use well, and buy what you can afford, too.

Back