4wheeling Techniques

FiCJeep

im was sitting here thinking of past 4wheeling situations and just remembering how i got out.........i was wondering what are some other good techniques and smart things to do while 4wheeling........

this will not only benefit us somewhat experienced 4wheelers but those novices that are just getting into the sport.....

so dont hold back share your secrets and techniques leading up to your trip and trail techniques

FiC

4lo, 2nd gear, and lots of throttle. It almost always works unless the axles are high centered pretty bad.

I can show you what NOT to do lol

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

PASmokeater, so you have lockers in that thing? If not, that had to suck!!

Hummer admits defeat:

There are so many different senerios that require certain techniques it would be hard to acurately state what one must do to get unstuck.
Getting high centered is a common way to get stuck with 4x4s. I've had to use my spare under a drive wheel for a base for traction before. I've used long tree limbs as leverage to pry myself loose. I've used a HiLft jack to winch myself out. There is no substitude for experience but even the best wheelers find themselves getting stuck. If not your probably not pushing the limits of your rig or your talents which is what I'm "always" doing!

I like the turn your wheel back and forth method seems to do me good.
Also I am a huge fan of the DON'T GET STUCK method! but if you don't get stuck, your not trying!!

If you start to roll, steer toward the roll. If it continues to go over gas it a little.
When climbing very steep hills and forward progress ceases, be prepared to grab reverse or the clutch. If you feel it going over backwards, gas it in reverse and stay off the brakes until it sits down. The same is true for going down steep grades.

When winching, keep your group clear of the winching.
On those little hills where you lose traction turn the wheel right and left.
After you get pulled out from being stuck, inspect your vehicle for damage.
Never leave someone in your group alone with a broken vehicle on the trail.

if your running open diffs, feather the breaks it will give you a little extra traction, works really well for automatics!!!

Re: Tires???

If you get in hairy situations, WAIT for your spotter. they can see what you can't.

I can offer some advice for deep mud and water running that is often not thought of until it is too late. You need to have a plan in advance for how to deal with roll overs. We Jeep drivers are at a disadvantage when swamp running if we flip and don't have a hard top that happens to stay together. There is seldome a time when blasting through the mud that you have guys standing there within ten feet like you would on the trail or in the rocks. Make sure people are ready to come to the rescue and have a way to flip the Jeep back over quickly. I met a guy onetime that quit mud running because he flipped in the pit and almost suffocated because he was strapped into a five point harness and totally under the mud while the onlookers figured out what to do.

It's not a race!! If it's questionable, access the terrain along with your spotter (as said before by L33TJ33P). What may look like solid ground may be loose sand just waiting to crumble. My man Omar got on his side that way. But we have different terrain out here.

Out here, sliding at weird angles is common due to the loose sand. Obviously, as stated above, turn in to it, but some times you can dig into the sand causing a vertex (pivot point) and possibly rolling your truck.

Winch responsibly, muffle the line with a jacket (or similar heavy fabric) and stand clear. Nothing worse that dying while winching... dying tends to be a buzz kill and ruins the trip.

Don't bite off more than you can chew. Testing the limits is what we are about. But recognize what your limits are. Big Rock and mountains where you can actually get hurt, maybe best left to those they are sure they can tackle it. If rolling is an issue, and you don't have a 5point harness, or a rollcage, and the hill is Mt. Everest, don't do it. It isn't worth it. (I wish I could follow my own advice)

White, if your the poster boy I am the poster girl. It is great advice but not possible every time.

BTW, WHEN are you getting a JEEP man???

Heather

Make sure the trail is there before you ride on it! This one looked nice but a portion of it kinda fell away upon the first try! hehehehe tug :lol:

i'm with tug there... you're not a pansy if you use your feet now and then... take a jog/walk ahead or circle around and see what sort of stuff lies ahead... if you are the trail leader... use responsibility and realize your limits... and be courteous to those who may not be as capable as you are... if you can make an obstacle with no problem.. and someone behind can't quite do it... follow another trail... let everyone keep up... each person on the trail is an asset

That's not my Jeep but I do not have lockers in the Pit....ALWAYS go on new trails with someone, and I like to male sure I have a CB or cell phone that works in the area where you're gonna be.

Tug...does THIS look familiar........
image-missing.png

ill add a good one...........make sure you know what is over the hill before you start your downward trek.....cause some people like to stop in the middle of the trail and when you cant see them then your in trouble.........so always make sure you can see your partner

Back