6.2 Chevy diesel

70worm

Has anyone here done a 6.2 diesel swap before? I might do one but I'm just wondering if I can hook up to the original jeep trans.

Here's the whole story if anyone wants to know why I'm thinking about doing this. I have a 77 cj5 with a blown amc360. $2200 to rebuild my self, $1850 for a rebuilt from autozone with 3year warr. I'm poor so that's alot of money for me. Then my grandpa gives me his old rv with a 6.2 diesel with 26,000 miles on it. So if I could put that diesel in the jeep for $500 - $800 it might be worth doing.

Last edited:

Sounds like a fun project but how big is the rv? 26k can still be alot depending on certain circumstances ie were fluids changed after it sat through the off season and so on if it's a good motor it'll create a torch beast

why? the 6.2 detroit diesel was a, at best, semi reliable motors; they were plagued with numerous running issues and block are prone to crack along the mains, and the motor is way under powered, the 6.2, later the turbo 6.2 and then the 6.5 could not hold a candle to the 6.7, 7.3 IDI motors or the 12 valve cummins. Also $2200 to rebuild a amc 360 is steep considering how the shops generally do it.

If you can, pull the block yourself, strip the block down, machine shop on average will charge $300-500 to machine the block polish the crank. new bearings and rings should be anywhere between $250-500 depending on what company you co with, I am a fan of eagle products. re-time and eassemble the block with new gaskets and timing chain ($300 on average for both.) If it were me, I would toss in a new cam, lifters, rods, and rebuild the heads (price would vary)

all this would run you about what the shop is looking for a rebuild, but I am 99%positive that the shop would re-use as many parts as possible as opposed to replacing 30-something year old components with upgraded ones.

If you are hell bent on a diesel, I would put either a 4bt cummins or a mercedes D300

my buddy has a 6.5 and its a dog. its not in his jeep but its got no power, it feels like. it runs forever though

I used to drive a 6.5 turbo diesel in a mid 90's Chevy 3/4 ton for work and it had no power compared to almost every diesel I have driven. Like stated before, the 6.2 isn't that great of a motor. It was the predecessor for the 6.5 which was replaced by the 6.6 Duramax. I think for a Jeep application it would do okay for some wheeling, but it wouldn't be my first choice of motor to put into something.

The 2 michine shops I called were both around $1000-$1200 just for the machine work. The only reason I was going 6.2 is because I already have one with 26,000 miles on it. But it looks like it's gonna be to much trouble to go to the 6.2. This is not a toy for me it was my daily driver.

I agree with above posters: stay away from the 6.2! A diesel engines go, it's near the bottom.

Back