74 258 head swap

blaylock6502

I have a 74 cj5 with a 258 and was going to put a mild cam in it new intake and carb. The problem is I cannot find a valve cover. I was wondering if I could find a cylinder head from a 75-78 if it would be able to be swapped???? Thanks in advance!!!

Yes it should swap over no problem. I have heard that there were some changes to the heads in 80 or 81 when they went to the plastic valve cover and those wont work for you. Any of the 70,s 258 covers should. I thought you had a 232? maybe that was someone else.

No it's a 258 and aside from a little valve train Noise it runs awesome but leaks oil like a sieve. The person who had it before kept cranking down on the cover trying to stop a seep and cracked the cover at all of the bolt holes and bent the hell out of it. I never thought it would be so difficult to find a valve cover for something. I did find a chrome one but the outside lip was bent up instead of Down to hold the gasket in place and the gasket squirted out between bolt holes. I also found the one on clifford performance that is machined aluminum which is probably the only way I'm gonna really fix it( machined aluminum I mean) but its 260 and I can buy aluminum valve covers for the newer 258 head all day long for 50-70 bucks

I misspoke I believe I want back to look for the valve cover and could not find anything except 81-86 which I would not be able to swap right? So I guess I'm sol unless I can get the factory one fixed good enough to hold or spend 260?

On a side note have you checked your PCV valve .[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]When a PCV valve stops working, pressure builds up inside the valve cover. This pressure can cause a number of problems for the engine, including an oil leak, particularly at the valve pan gasket. Clogged PCV valves may make an engine run poorly, decrease gas mileage and increase vehicle emissions , if it is stopped up may have caused the leak in the first place an they over compensated by tightening the valve cover to much an cracking it , just something to check .[/FONT]

What I have heard and read about the covers is that the heads for the 80,s had the holes for the cover in dif locations on the head, I read that people can use them but have to drill new holes. Check with any 4x4 shops in your area, they may have one laying around or maybe on a blown motor. Just a thought. good luck and ill keep my eyes out for one.

I did find an adapter to use an 81-86 valve cover on my 74!? Anyone have any experience with this?

Attachments

• image-2871750616.jpg
    image-2871750616.jpg
    356.8 KB · Views: 550
Back