81 cj7w/304

griff

I found a 81 cj7w/ a 304 for $1200.It's been garaged for 2 years but ran before that. It's all original and has basic cj rust.Is it a keeper and where should I start tearing it apart. Thanks for any help you may have.

RE: 4 barrel manifold and 4 barrel carb

The V8 is nice, and it probably has the T-176 four speed. The Tcase is the D300, which is a GREAT little box. The D30 front axle is a proven performer and the little guy is stronger than most people give it credit for. The rear AMC M20 catches alot of crap from people for being too weak.....but at least it isn't a D35....and it CAN be easily built up into a fairly respectable unit. A truss and a set of quality one piece shafts helps ALOT. The frames are good(for a CJ) on the 81s too. It's a good year. About the only complaint I have is that they have narrow track axles, which kind of sucks if you aren't wanting to swap. That's easily fixed though. You can swap in heavier duty assemblies from something else, you can BOLT IN a set of widetracks from an 82-86 model, or you could run spacers or custom wheels.

Thanks JP for all the info. You can bet on more questions to come as I start getting deeper into this adventure.Thanks again.

Back