'83 CJ7 Electrical problems?

leelandaiche

I have been having a problem with my battery getting drained rather quickly. In the past two weeks, its happened to me 3 times. I'll start it in the morning to get it warmed up and not have a problem. Then when I turned it off and then tried to start it right back up, its dead. Ive done it another time when I drove off, stopped to fuel up, and it was dead at the gas pump when I tried to start it again. This morning, I started it to get it warmed up...walked outside to leave at shift change, and it wasnt running anymore. I tried to start it, and it was dead. I had my alternator checked and he said it was bad. I got another one, and I am still having the problem. After getting jumped off this morning, I went home, killed it, and about an hour later, cranked it right up...no problem. I drove to O'Reilly to get the battery checked, killed it again, he went to check the battery and it was dead. Has anyone ever had a problem like this?

I had a 1980 cj5. Kept having same issue. After changing almost everything I changed the solenoid on the fender well and didn't have anymore issue. Also changed ground and all power wires. Was told the solenoid will stick closed and draw power.

Ah ha! I mentioned the solenoid to the guy at o'reilly and he didn't seem to think that's what it was. Just picked up my new solenoid and some new wire. Hopefully that will fix the problem. Thanks bud!

Okay so, I changed the solenoid and haven't had a problem...until today. Same thing, started it in the morning, cranked right up. Went 1/2 mile down the road to the gas station and killed it. Walked in, got what I needed and when I got back in it, wouldn't crank. Dead battery. I did notice that the stereo, my headlights, and all of the lights on the dash and inside the jeep were blinking. Not on and off...just dimmer and then normal... The solenoid is new and the alternator is new. What else?

May seem silly but have you taken off all battery connections and cleaned them and the posts good, ensure all electrical connections are clean and tight? Not trying to insult, just thinking on my keyboard. Check the ground from your engine to chassis.

Good luck.

Check your ignition module, on the back side,(unbolt it also make sure a clean good mounting surface when you reattach) if its been hot you will know it. May be time for a new one. I did have that on my 83 CJ at one time. Always carried a spare back then,
If I have an epiphany I will post it. mooooh-(

Thanks bud! I'll check that ignition module. And don't worry about insulting me...I'll be the first to tell you, I am NOT mechanically inclined but I am trying to learn as much as I can. So no matter what, I won't take anything as an insult! Haha. Thanks again man. If there's anything else, please let me know!

I think y2ktj is right. It sounds like something isnt making a good connection somewhere, check all grounds and connections. I would start at the battery ground on the block, starter wires, alternator wires and trace them all. look at the wires where they go through the firewall, they can rub to bare metal. See if there is a fuse in one of the alternator wires preventing the battery from charging.

When it dies, I checked the battery and it is drained. Which is the weird part bc it cranks with no problem 5 minutes before that. You're a fireman? Same here brother.

put your volt meter on current reading from battery to ground, with key off, should be no drain.. pull fuses one at a time.. see what the drain is..

if you cant find anything by pulling the fuses put a volt meter on it while its running and see if the battery is getting a good charge , should be close to 13.5 or more while idling and I know you changed the alternator but it could be bad out of the box or something is burning it up , I know for a fact that these new alternators can be junk as most are china crap these days ,,

have the battery load tested.. I just had mine go bad, the guy at the store checked it and said it was good and showed a charge. I asked him to load test it and it failed big time, he said well, its not good and I got a new battery.

Back