85 XJ lift...the RIGHT way to lift it 3 inches?????

vfrf2

I'm in the process of lifting my 85 XJ with a 3 inch lift. Just got my 31X10.5-15 BFG Radial All-Terrain tires mounted on it today the stock honey comb 15X7 wheels. Ok, I'm looking at some serious non-clearance between the tires and the fender flares right now after getting them bolted on...as expected.
I purchased a front track bar lowering bracket on eBay...a couple of hours ago.
After doing some serious looking around here and other places online...I think I'm doing this right...
I'm going in the right direction (only sounding confident by checking out this site and MANY others like it) by coming to the conclusion that I'm going to spring for the $230 + or - Rough Country 3 inch lift kit that includes the front coil springs, shocks and rear AAL with blocks, shocks.
Ok, what I would like to know is...should I buy some of the lowering control arms that I see advertised at eBay and other places for about $100 also? Add some longer YJ or
other longer brake lines for the front and rear? Both...one or the other??????

Any thing else I might not be taking into consideration???? I'll be blunt...I'm ignorant about small details when it comes to doing this right. I'm going to throw on a homemade disconnect system for the front sway bar that I saw...what should I do with the rear sway bar...any surprises there? I'm planning on throwing a class III hitch on this thing too...am I going to have issues with that???

I'm probably going to be doing 75% street driving with the occasional urge to go off road...and towing a 3200 lb boat. While I'm at it...should I add the rear helper springs that JC Whitney has...if I add them will it throw off the lift at all or leave it intact?

Yea, I know 50 frigging questions...got you scratching your heads yet or is this something someone else has thought about too?

Ah...the joys of mods! ?:)

Thanks in advance...

edited by: vfrf2, Feb 09, 2003 - 08:56 AM[addsig]

I'm leaving the 2.8 stock with the exception of a stock 2 barrel carb and intake mod to increase gas flow and purchasing a high flow cat converter and a 2 3/4 inch exhaust system I'll be fabricating/installing on my own. [addsig]

hey! welcome aboard... i just lifted my '90 XJ 3 inches, so i have some input here...

as for a company, i chose rustys' offroad (http://www.rustysoffroad.com) and haven't looked back since. great tech support, friendly bunch, lower prices than the rest. as for extra parts, all i had to buy was the kit... new springs and shocks, with the rear brake line extending bracket. didn't need anything else, just an alignment. no new control arms, no track bar, no nothing. it actually drove straight after the lift too, and i'm procrastinating getting the alignment done because of this. i'm keeping an eye on tire wear, and i'll let you know how it goes.

as for AAL, i'd suggest getting complete rear spring packs because with an '85, the stock stuff is gonna be sagged a good bit. the rear leaves on my XJ were sagged 2", and you have 5 years on me... :)

31's are the PERFECT size for 3" lifts on XJ's... rustys' said that you COULD fit 32's but there'd be a good amount of rubbing once you flexed it up.

as for the hitch, i'd just do the lift installation FIRST, because you will probably want it to be as clear and open as possible to get those bolts out of your way. if you get the hitch first, you'll probably be removing it when doing the lift install.

the next step for you is to read online a few install writeups... mine is:
http://dingus.tqhosting.com/jeep/Lifts/lifts.html

there are a bunch of other lift writeups online that you should also take a gander at.

hope that helps, any other questions... just ask! :)[addsig]

I used the Rough Country kit as the basis for mine...lift kit and shocks... as for the rear springs...if yours are like mine were..they were dang near inverted from sagging...i found a set of low milage later model springs from a towing package equipped XJ...then installed the add-a-leaf spring from the kit. worked pretty good...i run larger tires (12.5 x 33"S) so i had to do more mods and cut the fenders...you will need a pitman arm puller and/or spring compressors to make this go easy...access to a air supply and impact tools will make it much easier...and oh yeah...metric sockets and wrenches..10, 13, 15, 18, 21mm if my brain cell is working today...Also... check your steering box..mine was worn out.. and if any of the suspension bushings are shot..replace them, much easier than taking it back apart later.

Dawg[addsig]

Thanks for the information everyone...I appreciate it. From what I'm seeing from other web sites and the info I'm getting here, it looks like I want to trash my existing leaf springs...they do have a nasty sag in them. After looking around I've seen where someone used a combination of Dodge Dakota leaf packs and using the stock top spring from the XJ to get some lift...it looks like he was getting about 4-4.5(?) inches of lift which is more than I really want. I included the link to the site for this mod...to show you what I'm talking about...

http://63.217.229.107/dakota.html

I've also seen a couple of places that say Chevy S10 and full size Dodge truck or van leaf packs will work too. So...what combination would work to achieve a 3 inch lift?

I just bought some Rancho RS5000 shocks on eBay for $74...a track bar relocation bracket for 3-4.5 inch lifts...ok, now should I buy some control arms...for instance...something like the ones made by Rough Country? What about longer brake lines...oh, and the pitman arm too? Yea, 50,000 questions...:)

Thanks in advance...

viffer[addsig]

On and an after thought...IF and IF I'm looking at having to buy control arms and a pitman arm to do this right...I'm thinking I might as well go with a 4 or 4.5 inch lift...I assume I'd have to buy just a transfer case lowering kit? On top of that...what I am doing to other angles on the drive line that might have to be taken into consideration...like the drive shaft angles? Would the drive shafts have to be modified in anyway, ie buying even MORE components...which I really don't want to do?. If I have to start going that far, I'm going to stick with a 3 inch lift...

Thanks...

viffer[addsig]

Back