87 258 engine replacement

njtech

I need to replace my 258 engine in my 87 Jeep (automatic)

My questions are as follows:

1) what year engines can I drop in that would bolt up to the bell housing? and be relativity the same from a accessory standpoint ?.. I can unbolt the stuff from the existing motor if the age of the new motor is drastically different. I am assuming the motors bolt up (bolt pattern) from a long block perspective over a wide range of years. I would imagine the fuel injected motors won't run well with a old carb bolted on.. without changing the cam maybe..?

2)What about a good used fuel injected motor complete with ECM
and harness? How would I handle the speed sensor, and missing dash components for compatibility (check engine light...) and is there any other fine details I may be missing? any one done this before?

I don't know about the fuel injected motors, but any 258 block from 75 to 90 would bolt to the bell housing. Before 75, there were some changes. I have a 75 block with my 87 head, water pump, intake, exhaust, power steering pump, alternator, distributor, etc bolted on. The only other change I did was to steal the oil dip stick tube from the 87 block. It's longer and easier to get to. Only thing with the pre 80 motors is that they are considerably heavier.

Back