87' YJ 258 Fan clutch bad??????????

Pcoz88

I just replaced my radiator with a new one and the fan blade was hitting the shroud.Then it stopped.I check the fan and the fan blade stop moving.The shaft from the pully is still turning but the fan blades are not.Spin it by hand it kinds starts to spin then stops.Does it sound like I need a new clutch or what?There 50$ at autozone .Does that sound about right?Thank-you for all your help!!!! :-? :-? [addsig]

It probably is bad. There are 2 kinds that spin in diferent directions. Make sure you get the right one/ If it is a reverse one it should be stamped on it. Also it could be just a dirty coil that is located on the back of it. if it is cover with oil and grease it won't read the temp. correctly[addsig]

the fan clutch works like this - when it's cold and you spin the fan it should turn pretty easy - when it's warm and you spin it by hand it shouldn't spin so easy. The clutch has lubricant and a spring which works off heat. When cool the spring is contracted and when it's warm it's expanded. If there are oily streaks around the clutch and the fan spins funky always replace.[addsig]

Thank-you Cardoc123 and jay89 for the info!!!!Where would be a place to get one at a good price? :-O :-O

87' YJ 258,5speed,New 3 row radiator,new optiam battery,new supertop soft top

edited by: Pcoz88, Feb 18, 2003 - 07:58 PM[addsig]

Back