89 YJ Stuck in 4wd!

DaddyYJ

Hello Forum!

I'm new to jeeps but have rebuilt a few cars over my career. I wanted to pass on he knowin' to my 15 year old girl, so I asked her to pick out an older model car we could fix up together. I figured she would go for a 70s vette or some such, much to my surprise she wanted a Jeep!

So now I find myself working on an 89 YJ that was someone else's baby in times past. Its the 4 cylinder with the AX-5 and regular axles (non-LS, Dana 30 on the front). All the vacuum hoses are hooked up to the vacuum motor, but there is also a large (3/8" or so) vacuum line coming off of the top of the differential housing that ties to nothing. Also, the linkage looks correct at the transfer case.

Can anyone help me figure this one out? Could someone have locked the front axle on purpose and what would I look for to undo that? Am I just looking at needing to reconnect the big vacuum hose somewhere? I didn't find this thing on he Chilton's diagrams!

I'm new to 4wd axles and the like and would appreciate your thoughts.

Welcome to the board!

Jeep will be fun for her! Last of the few full framed vehicles.

That is a breather tube. Goes up under the hood zip tied up so water is less likely to get in.
P1000639-1.jpg

Last edited:
The vacuum shifter on the front axle may be froze up. It happens and their cheap to replace. Also Some one may have mounted it backwards so that it would stay in 4wd all the time.

Thanks for the help and the Picture! Guess that aint a vacuum line after all!

I'll try monkeying with the vacuum motor tonight. I knew that vacuum pump was good for more than just bleeding brakes, ha!

The rubber hose on the front axle/differential is a breather hose. the other end should be attached high on the firewall to keep water from getting in.

Just a update everyone, it ends up there is a vacuum switch on top of the transfer case and it as stuck open. Got a new one, she works fine now. Not bad for a $10 part, though getting to it was a royal pain!

Back