'91 or '98 Jeep Cherokee XJ

Shawn McElroy

I am buying a new car, first jeep. And I was going to buy a wrangler but I will be doing more DD than wheeling. So the XJ seems a better fit. I also like that I can carry more junk. I have found 2 near me that I like. a 91 and a 98. In general what are the pros/cons of the years compared to each other. The interior in the 98 looks much nicer to me.

Some info

98:
- 5" lift
- bushwacker flares
- winch bumper
- chrysler 8.25 rear axle limited slip
- non vacum front dana 30
- new sway bar disconnects
- new head gasket and had valve seat repaired

91:
-
3" lift
- 33 inch tires on 17 inch black aluminum rims. Rims and tires alone were 1300.
(nicer than whats on the 98)
- new Fuel pump
- new Fuel pressure regulator
- new Crank position sensor
- new Freeze plugs
- new Alternator and coil
- new Spark plugs and wires
- K&n air filter
- Over 1000 in parts to keep it up to date.

Appearance wise both look to be in good condition. Not really great but no real issues. I have not been able to go and look at them yet (each is about an hour drive from me opposite ways). the tires on the 98 he said will easily last the season but arent new. What do you guys think?

Check the heater door for operation prone to breaking leaving you with no heat in winter. Also check the drive shafts for wear. Also check ac compressor prone to leaks.

Pull back the carpet and look for rust, or poke around the floorboards from under the Jeep with a screwdriver. Pay special attention to above the converter and muffler.

The '98 may be less likely to have rotted floors, has the updated exterior styling, stronger front axle ujoints, airbags, updated interior.

Back