'93 YJ; simple axle seal r & r now more?

M G D

Wrenching on my 1st jeep, a '93 YJ 2.5L 5 speed with vacuum shifted Dana 30 axle. The plan was to simply replace the axle seals & except for now replaceing the steering dampner, tie rod grease cups & front shocks it remains the same. The problem I've run into is the passenger side axle tube shows damage at the point just inboard of the shift housing where the axle tube has fixed splines that match the axle shaft. The damage is that a few of the splines show broken "faces", like just where they start at the very end of the tube. Can anyone tell me if that's the extent of the damage will it effect my front axle in a bad way? I'm not foolish enough to think it's good however maybe it's not terminal either? Any opinions? Thanks. MGD

Come on gang, 36 views and not one suggestion, opinion or past experience with the same thing...? I'd sure appreciate any opinion you could offer on my question. Thanks in advance. MGD

Can you get a pic? Hard to say when you don't know the extent of the damage. If its too bad you can always replace it with a one piece inner from a newer model. XJ shafts will also work.

I don't know how to post a picture. I think it's some kind of plastic insert to hold the splined end of the shaft in the middle of the tube. I picked at it and it's not steel... feels like plastic. I might want to post a picture later, where do I find out how to do it? Thanks

Back