'94 Cherokee shifting problem

TonyInKS

Hi, I just bought a '94 Cherokee 4.0 I6, 4x4, auto, with 146K miles on it. Everything seems to work well, except for one problem, when the Jeep's been sitting over night or for a few hours and has completely cooled down, when I get in to drive somewhere it stays in 1st gear until 3,500-4,000 rpm before it will shift into 2nd. After it shifts into 2nd everything seems to be operating smoothly, and when the Jeep's warmed up it shifts 1-2 just fine( at about 2,200 rpm ballpark,lol). I'm hoping this is something small and easily fixed. The transmission fluid looks good and at the right level, but I'm definitely going to be changing it in a few days, just to be safe. From my searching on the web, I've heard it can be anything from a TPS, to a dirty filter/screen in the transmission, to a shot transmission that needs a rebuild/replacement. If anyone has experienced this and knows the fix for it, I would be EXTREMELY grateful, thanks in advance for your replies, Tony

I'd start with the filter & screen and see what happens. Also, try letting it actually warm up for a minute or so before you drop it in gear. More than likely something is plugged up and restricting the flow of the fluid.

X2, some transmissions will lose their prime after sitting overnight. while warming up the engine, shift the trans to all the gears and then back to park. this will actuate the solenoids and will get the fluid to flow a lot faster.

Thanks guys, I'll give that a try and hopefully, that's the problem:) I'll let ya know if I get it fixed, Tony

So, I just got back from Meineke, I was going to have them flush the transmission, install fresh fluid and a new filter, and the guy told me the fluid was low, and that the jeep might not even move if they flushed it. I checked the fluid before and after I went there and it is at the correct level, and looks ok, I'm wondering if the guy was feeling lazy and didn't feel like doing it? Is it possible that having the transmission flushed might damage it that much more? Anyways, long story short, according to this guy, my transmission is completely shot and will need to be replaced, hopefully, he's completely wrong, I don't understand how it would be trashed if it shifts just fine after it warms up. Since this guy wasn't any help, I guess I'll change the fluid and filter myself(not to mention, he told me it was going to be about $200 to do it,lol), do you guys use any additives in your transmission fluid? like Lucas, or B&M trickshift?, thanks guys, Tony PS, even if the transmission is shot, I'm going to drive the thing untill it grenades,lol.

Personally, I'd go to another shop. The only way he could truly know if the trans is shot is to drop the pan and inspect it in the first place. Doing a flush shouldn't do anything to the trans other than put clean fluid where there is now dirty fluid.

Out of curiosity, are you checking the fluid with it warmed up, running, in neutral, and on level ground?

yes, I'm checking it after it's warmed up, in neutral, and on level ground. I didn't think that a flush would do ANY harm, do you think that $200 is too much to have them do the flush/filter/fluid? I can change the fluid/filter myself, but can't flush it, and know that a flush is the only way to COMPLETELY change the fluid. thanks, by the way, the tip that someone said about running it through all the gears,slowly, before taking off does help.

My recomendation would be to drop the pan and replace the filter and gasket.Clean the pan and the magnet. You will need to re install around 5 Qts. of ATF+4 fluid back in there. drive it for about 100miles then get it flushed..

Back