94 Jeep YJ with a AMC 360 from a 79 J10 HELP PLZ....

94Jeepon33s

Hopefully I can find some help here I have researched and researched and can't seem to find any help. Basically I have a 94 Jeep Wrangler with a AMC 360 out of a 79 J10 and all I need is the proper way to wire up an Ignition Control Module to it because the guy I got the Jeep from decided to cut the engine harness up and left all the harnesses from the 94 in it(very confusing). I just need the proper splices for the Red wire and the White wire coming off of the ICM. Trying to follow the one in the Haynes Manual is like trying to follow a Biology diagram of the brain in black and white and Japanese. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.... Even if I could see what a proper engine swap like that looks like I could replicate it from pictures.

I may be totally wrong here, but I dont know if your 94 computer controlled wiring harness is going to work with a 79 non computer controlled engine. You will probably need to get a engine harness for the 360. I know you can put a amc v8 into a amc 6cyl jeep without changing the harness.

You should use a lot of the wiring from the 94 to power a non-efi motor. you will end up deleting a lot of wires when you pin out the harness for things like emissions, o2 sensors, etc..

Sounds like the previous owner hacked the harness, it might be worth while to go to the junkyard and pull a new harness for the engine compartment. The get a wiring diagram and simply remove what is not need to run a carbed motor.

Yeah I'm starting to see that bc I got the ICM wired per wiring diagram between the two service manuals I have but I still can get spark to the distributor.... Instead of the previous owner that did the swap removing the original 94 harness he left all of it on the firewall with some of it being utilized and some just abandoned..... So if I get the harness for the 360 I should be able to wire it to the interior harness obviously less some wires...Correct? I know this swap like this one has been done before.

Another option I do have is a free engine another carbed 360 with a complete harness and 43000 miles on it. That is more than likely what i will end up doing and if it get too aggrevated I know a guy that will do the swap for like 500

I find it easier to leave an much of the engine compartment wiring as possible to power the starter, ECM, alternator etc.. At the ecm you will want to remove the pins that have no control over teh carbed motor, o2 sensors, MAF, CPS, etc.

You ignition control module might be bad, it should be a simple 4-5 wire connection.

Just a thought. I'm not sure if you will be going through emissions, but you could use a stand alone distributer like a mallory unilite. It only requires one 12 volt wire to operate. The kit comes with a resistor to step down the 12v to around 9v. I have used this setup on my AMC 304 for years without any problems. Just throwing this out to maybe help eliminate some headache.

Catoctin Jeep said:
Just a thought. I'm not sure if you will be going through emissions, but you could use a stand alone distributer like a mallory unilite. It only requires one 12 volt wire to operate. The kit comes with a resistor to step down the 12v to around 9v. I have used this setup on my AMC 304 for years without any problems. Just throwing this out to maybe help eliminate some headache.

It would prob be my best intrest to contact summit or jegs to get the exact one for my engine right... And is it the vaccum or mechanical u r suggesting?

You may want to replace the distributor drive gear (the one on the cam ) if you decide to do this. A friend just went through a mess with his CJ. He put a new distributor in his with the old cam gear and it eat it up. We were told these needed to be replaced as a set. Also the distributor gasket is important as it also acts as a spacer to help with the lash between the two gears.

Back