95 YJ Will not Start

dawg95

hey guys new to the site need help I have a 95 yj jeep was running fine the night I came home from work the next morning I get in turn the key nothing had the starter check battery check and alternator check all good the start will in gage out of the jeep but when installed does not will run on a push start with everything working but as soon as you shut off the key dead in the water when the key is turn all gauges and sounds are working like they should check relays all good fuses as well getting 12.64 volts at the large stud on starter but have nothing at the solenoid check all cables all look good just can't figured it out going to check ignition switch wire to starter and see if I have a short from point a to b and 1 more thing before my horn or interior lights didn't work now they do what gives thanks in advance to all that try's to help first time jeep owner fell in love instantly and a big jeep wave to all :lol:

If you feel that a signal is not getting to the solenoid from the ignition switch when in START position , yes , you should verify that with a voltmeter on the solenoid wire and ground when key in START position. If you find no problem there it is likely the solenoid is faulty but it pays to replace the starter . If you have a solenoid lying around or can pull one from from a similar starter to experiment , by all means try . Starters have been tested and engaging off the engine but fail under load . That is the result of a weak armature . If you don't hear any indication that the starter is trying to engage as you've stated , then there is no point swapping a solenoid until testing ignition switch first. Be certain first the voltmeter is getting a reading when key in START position before blaming starter or solenoid. Starting cranking off the engine so it is unlikely solenoid is bad.

hey greg I did replace the starter . same thing happen paid 70 bucks form autozone with a life time replacement thanks for the info it rain all day here in mich so this was a wasted day would rather be driving my baby then the sedan so hopefully tomorrow will be a better day for trouble shooting thanks again .

Remove your plugs. Take a breaker bar and hand turn the engine. Check that it is not frozen.

Make sure when they check a battery or starter that they load tested against a minimum requirement for your vehicle. A failing starter will turn outside the engine but not have the torque to turn the engine.

Do you feel the clicks in the key when you turn the cylinder? There is a cast metal bar that breaks inside the ignition, because of this you will have power but not be able to power the starter.

Verify your battery connections and ground wires. You could take jumper cables from battery to starter to verify if it is the starter, wires or sensors.

Is this auto or manual? Manuals use a clutch bypass switch and autos have a use a fuse to bypass the switch. Autos I believe use the brake switch to ensure the brake is engaged.

Last edited:

Reread your first and realized you mentioned the horn and interior lights . This sounds suspicious . Sounding like a faulty ignition switch . Not tough to change , just tough to get at. It's under the dash on top of the steering column which means you'll have to remove lower dash panel and unbolt the brace to drop the column . You must support the column while unbolted to prevent bending the column tube while working. Don't put excessive pressure downward on column to prevent bending. Disconnect battery and unplug all connections to switch remembering what wire goes where . Should plug in only one place but remember to avoid error. Take picture , take notes , whatever. Do not over tighten screws holding switch to column. Be sure switch is in proper adjustment . As long as replacement switch is in same position as original , it should bolt right back into position. Before replacing , do the check with the volt meter. Verify electrical signal at solenoid wire repeatedly but this is sounding like a worn switch. Bad contact in switch.
You can verify starter with a remote start switch if you got one or can borrow one. This is helpful for testing. Better than trying to short big stud on starter to small stud to engage solenoid and risk touching ground. And making Sparks and burning your hand or causing damage. You can make one of you got a heavy duty switch , preferably momentary on/off with 12 gauge wire and alligator clips. Please do all the testing first before buying parts .

Back