96 cherokee dies and wont start

rockfangd

Hi all. Well the jeep was running good for a little while.
To refresh all. It is a 1996 jeep cherokee, 4x2 4.0l6
It throws a code P0340. Cam sensor ckt a, Bank 1 or single sensor.
My research showed to change the crank sensor. So I did last week. I found the wires at the sensor itself were bare and corroded. New sensor installed and it fired right up, til today.
I didnt think much about the pickup/cam sensor because I replaced it last year.
Problem is random. If jeep starts and I wiggle wires and try to get it to stall it wont. It only does it when you go more than a few blocks from home. I am thinking that when the problem occurs it is not getting spark.
Anyone have any insight on this? Thanks all

Update 7/1/14.
I ran the engine and started from the pcm connectors and followed both the CPS and the pickup, problem would not occur. I am thinking there is a bad wire somewhere in the loom to the pickup. Maybe once it heats up it breaks connection. I ran it and drove it today, code would not return, no stalling. I know problem is not resolved though.

I drove the jeep today and of course it did it. I was going down the road and it was like someone shut the key off. I tried several times to get it to restart while coasting but it would only chug and stall.
Once I finally rolled to a stop and got it to the side of the road it fired right back up.
got 2 more blocks and it shut off again but fired right back up. I got it home and left it running. I went under the hood and wiggled every wire, plug, connection I could find(including the pcm) and it never attempted to stall or even stumble.
I wonder if that crazy pickup in the distributor is crapping out again. What do you guys think

Wow , not only is this one for the books , it's also one for the lab scope ! At this point , since the quality of replacement parts is nowhere to be found in this century , any chance that original cam sensors can be gotten in a salvage yard ? I would trust one of them before I would at the chain stores . Mine is original ( 166,000 and counting ) and still going. Cam sensor does play a big part in engine management while running. I'm with you on this one . Best we could do in the absense of a lab scope . Damn intermittant driveability problems are hell , but I don't have to remind you , I know that . Sorry this is still a chop breaker.

Last edited:

lol this jeep has had its share of problems. I will say that Chryslers do not like aftermarket parts at all.
I ordered a new pickup coil/cam sensor. to install tomorrow. The last time I replaced the pickup was 2012 and it was for the same reason. It sucks when things are random because you cannot trust them to take them anywhere.
And with a regular shop charging 80.00 an hour plus parts throwing it gets expensive quickly.

Yes , it's been posted numerous times , chrysler's don't like aftermarket. Two years seems to be the average time chain store and aftermarket parts last from my experience. Looking forward to the report on the parts swap . Thanks so very much for your posting this problem gone case study which will benefit many whom are bound to experience the same. Thanks , Greg

Well I believe I nailed it.
Pulled cap and rotor. Pickup looked terrible.
I put pickup,rotor, cap, wires, and plugs in it just over 2 years ago and you wouldnt even know it.
I cleaned the rotor and cap, replaced the pickup.
Found something else too. A few years ago I replaced the oil pressure switch and pigtail due to the oil leaking through the sensor and pushing the plug out. Low and behold it is doing it again. So I depinned the unused wire to the switch and cleaned it out.
So now it should not push the plug out. Damn shitty sensors.
Put everything together and drove it around for 45 mins. No code no stall.
I do have one question though, Is there an allowance in play on the distributor shaft? It seems to be loose in the distributor.
I am thinking the distributor may be worn. Thanks all

Wishing best of luck with the new pick up . Rather that you enjoy a reliable jeep than have to be the poster boy for a driveability case study . Lol. We love your posts but don't want you to have to be the victim of inferior imported parts to provide a thesis . Sorry about that.
Yeah , the oil pressure sending switch can be fine examples too. I'm sure you know that the oil pressure switch will cause the electric fuel pump to cut out if the switch fails outright so that is a huge concern. Absolutely great that you got it running well again ! As far as the distributor shaft , your not supposed to feel any play ( lateral movement ) since the shaft should spin but not move side to side. That will cause poor readings from the cam sensor . Good call since we are now concerned for the health of the new sensor . I don't think these are serviceable so replacement is the only viable option. Don't know if a rebuild kit exists for it. Since you notice it is loose , I'd have to agree with you that it is definately worn. Sorry about that too. Hope not too $$

Back