96 GC 2 WD constant problems...

redqueen

I've posted before about this vehicle so I guess one could go back for the specifics but here's sort of a chronology:
Purchased in December '13-no maintenance records, 200K miles.
2 months later started with misfires when running, check engine light comes on
O'Reilly says replace oxygen sensor-done.
From that point on constant engine misfires, check engine light comes back on.
Mechanic sees that the ignition coil is severely cracked-replaced it
Engine continues to misfire, check engine light comes back on. One of the codes they pull off it says the coil is bad
Mechanic replaces coil again
Drive it to work the next day and it misfires and check engine light comes back on.
Mechanic now does a complete tune up-new spark plug wires, plugs, rotor, etc+ oil change
Engine continues to misfire, check engine light comes back on. Engine now will occasionally lose power. I can be driving alone and the speedometer will just move in a smooth arc from 60 or so down to nothing. I'll steer it onto the shoulder of the road, sometimes it will stall out and sometimes it won't but when it does it always restarts. Then after doing this for a couple of weeks it begins to fail to restart when it stalls out unless it sits for maybe 10 or 15 minutes, then it will restart.
Fiinally it refused to start one evening at the end of my work day and I had it towed to the jeep dealer nearby. It has been there for 4 weeks. First they thought it was the camshaft position sensor, they replaced that and replaced the coil for the third time. When they test ran it, it ran fine for a while but then it died and they had to tow it back to the dealer. Then they decided it was the CPU. Replaced that. Started it up, test ran it around town and it died again. They then decided it was the fuel pump in the gas tank, replaced it and pronounced it done.
I paid $1300.00 to bail this baby out of the dealer and went to drive it to work yesterday. It started up fine and seemed to drive well until I was about 5 miles out of town and out of the blue, I'm clipping along at about 65 MPH and it feels like I hit something or actually I don't know what else to liken it to...the steering wheel was jerking it was shuddering and pounding in the front somehow. I was fortunate enough to get it out of the traffic lane and onto the shoulder and as soon as it dropped down to idle speed all the symptoms went away and it just sat there idling. None of the dash lights came on. I thought I'd just try to get it off the highway and I put it in drive and pulled back onto the road and it went maybe a mile and then it lost power, and stalled out on the shoulder. It would crank but it wouldn't start so I had it towed back to the dealer. They told me later that day that it had absolutely no spark and they have no idea why.

Any thoughts? Free associations even...the service manager said he thought that it might have had a massive 6 cylinder misfire. I don't understand what might cause it to do that? I've had the oxygen sensor replaced, the coil three times, new plugs, new plug wires, new rotor, new cam shaft position sensor, new cpu and new fuel pump...what is left that could be doing this?

To be really honest right now I'm not sure I'm going to be willing to put more than a couple hundred more dollars into it. If the fix is higher than that I'm rather inclined to sell it to a salvage yard or donate it to lower my tax liability. I've had it and I don't know whether I'll ever trust it again but as long as it is running as badly as it is I can't sell it for anything close to what it would take to get me into something else to get to and from work. Anyone have any thoughts about what else there is to consider here? Thanks everybody in advance.....

I've posted before about this vehicle so I guess one could go back for the specifics but here's sort of a chronology:
Purchased in December '13-no maintenance records, 200K miles.
2 months later started with misfires when running, check engine light comes on
O'Reilly says replace oxygen sensor-done.
From that point on constant engine misfires, check engine light comes back on.
Mechanic sees that the ignition coil is severely cracked-replaced it
Engine continues to misfire, check engine light comes back on. One of the codes they pull off it says the coil is bad
Mechanic replaces coil again
Drive it to work the next day and it misfires and check engine light comes back on.
Mechanic now does a complete tune up-new spark plug wires, plugs, rotor, etc+ oil change
Engine continues to misfire, check engine light comes back on. Engine now will occasionally lose power. I can be driving alone and the speedometer will just move in a smooth arc from 60 or so down to nothing. I'll steer it onto the shoulder of the road, sometimes it will stall out and sometimes it won't but when it does it always restarts. Then after doing this for a couple of weeks it begins to fail to restart when it stalls out unless it sits for maybe 10 or 15 minutes, then it will restart.
Fiinally it refused to start one evening at the end of my work day and I had it towed to the jeep dealer nearby. It has been there for 4 weeks. First they thought it was the camshaft position sensor, they replaced that and replaced the coil for the third time. When they test ran it, it ran fine for a while but then it died and they had to tow it back to the dealer. Then they decided it was the CPU. Replaced that. Started it up, test ran it around town and it died again. They then decided it was the fuel pump in the gas tank, replaced it and pronounced it done.
I paid $1300.00 to bail this baby out of the dealer and went to drive it to work yesterday. It started up fine and seemed to drive well until I was about 5 miles out of town and out of the blue, I'm clipping along at about 65 MPH and it feels like I hit something or actually I don't know what else to liken it to...the steering wheel was jerking it was shuddering and pounding in the front somehow. I was fortunate enough to get it out of the traffic lane and onto the shoulder and as soon as it dropped down to idle speed all the symptoms went away and it just sat there idling. None of the dash lights came on. I thought I'd just try to get it off the highway and I put it in drive and pulled back onto the road and it went maybe a mile and then it lost power, and stalled out on the shoulder. It would crank but it wouldn't start so I had it towed back to the dealer. They told me later that day that it had absolutely no spark and they have no idea why.

Any thoughts? Free associations even...the service manager said he thought that it might have had a massive 6 cylinder misfire. I don't understand what might cause it to do that? I've had the oxygen sensor replaced, the coil three times, new plugs, new plug wires, new rotor, new cam shaft position sensor, new cpu and new fuel pump...what is left that could be doing this?

To be really honest right now I'm not sure I'm going to be willing to put more than a couple hundred more dollars into it. If the fix is higher than that I'm rather inclined to sell it to a salvage yard or donate it to lower my tax liability. I've had it and I don't know whether I'll ever trust it again but as long as it is running as badly as it is I can't sell it for anything close to what it would take to get me into something else to get to and from work. Anyone have any thoughts about what else there is to consider here? Thanks everybody in advance.....

come on folks...you're killing me here.....how 'bout map sensor?

The violent wobble in your front end is referred to as "Death Wobble", and if you tell the dealer that, they probably have never heard of it. Its a term the offroad community has given it. You have a loose or worn out steering component. If you use the search function as the top of the page, search death wobble and you should find all kinds of info and fixes on the subject. I don't know what could be wrong with your engine, I would think no spark at all would be in the ignition somewhere, coil, distributor, ignition module, sensor, etc..

Thanks for your input. I have to wonder if the situation you describe as "death wobble" (creepy name, probably very descriptive) is really applicable here, not saying I know it's not...just wondering...I didn't have any trouble steering it off the road, never have had anything remotely reminiscent of steering issues with this beast. What I find myself wondering is if it could be a distributor beginning to fail (or in this case having failed). If what I read is true, when distributors are beginning to fail they fail when the vehicle is being driven or the engine is under a load. The one thing I've noticed about this whole situation is that it always happens when the vehicle is in gear and is moving. It doesn't seem to happen when it's just sitting somewhere in park and at idle. I know the distributor is one thing which hasn't been replaced before and I have to wonder why the codes pulled from the engine wouldn't have indicted the distributor was the problem but as the Jeep dealer explained to me, this engine is one of the earliest to have the computer-read codes and they weren't very specific. I wonder if everybody has been looking for the difficult and obscure cause and it might really just be the distributor? Just a thought...hopefully I'll find out more tomorrow. Thanks everybody for at least reading.....

Was the steering issue a violent side-to-side cycling of the steering wheel? That's death wobble and only corrected by slowing down.

Was the steering issue a violent side-to-side cycling of the steering wheel? That's death wobble and only corrected by slowing down.
No, there wasn't side to side movement and the jeep went in the direction I pointed it in.
It might be my explanation that is at fault, I've never experienced anything like this. It seemed like it made a lot of noise but the motion was just a really strong shaking, not a definite side to side motion. In my reading on the forum, one person said something to the effect of "if you replace the cam shaft position sensor you should replace the crank shaft position sensor too". True? I misunderstood I guess...they aren't the same? I'm sorry if my questions are confusing or just annoying...I just want to be able to converse with the shop here tomorrow.

It can also be corrected temporarily by speeding up. ;)
I would look at the ground wire attachment point next to the coil. They come loose and corrode, then heat up and cause all sorts of issues.

Back