96 gc laredo bucking like a bronco!

gmatuz

My Jeep is sick! Monday after running fine all day, sat in the drive for several hours. I got in to get my son from work, got 4 blocks up the street and started chugging. Felt like it couldn't breathe and smelled hot, and loud muffler spurts with smoke from under mid area of vehicle. Check engine light came on. Limped home and went to auto zone to run the codes the next day, still running rough. Misfired on every cylinder. Almost died in front of local muffler shop, so I pulled in. Totally believed it was the catalytic. They looked at the codes, and being I am a girl, told me I needed a tune up, not a cat. The next morning called and told me it was the cat after a $200 tune up. they said I need a muffler too. It is only a year old so I told them not to replace muffler as it has a year left on its warranty. They told me to come and pick it up, good as new. Picked it up and got 5 miles and boom, same problem, minus the smoke and hot smell. Had muffler checked at other shop and they said it was fine. Same problem on the way back from the shop. Drives fine for a few miles then it chokes up and chugs like it is running out of gas. I pulled over and turned it off and back on, and it ran fine again for a mile or so, then chug chug again.

I have a crazy neighbor that I am having problems with. Is it possible that she put something in my gas tank? I have been reading online that Jeeps are notorious for the ghost sputtering problem, but I have owned it for 6 years and have never had this problem before an alterication with her on monday. If not, then what?

When it's running well try to get it to run rough by moving different sections of the wiring harness, this method may reveal a short.

Back