96 Grand Cherokee 5.2 L SOS!!!

ssobbom101

Im new so i apologize if this is posted incorrectly. I have a 96 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.2 L. I was driving on the freeway and my drive shaft broke, so I had the car towed and the drive shaft replaced. Since the drive shaft had been replaced my car has had an issue with once at a constant speed (freeway driving) a humming followed with a slight pop and slight pulling. I've since had the serpentine belt replaced, rear differential drained and filled and transfer case drained and refilled with modifier. However the issue is still there. Has anyone ever dealt with this or does anyone know what could be causing this?

All help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Welcome to Jeepz.com :welcome: You posted that your driveshaft was replaced so I'm guessing it was from a salvage yard or some source . Was the replacement matched to the original ? There may be some difference in the balance of the replacement driveshaft . Hopefully the replacement is not damaged , I.E. , a bend or dent undetected. I once worked in a salvage yard and we used to pick up autos with pay loader forklift which can cause such damage to driveshafts . Hoping this is not the case with your replacement. Be that as it may , the balance will have to be checked at a local machine shop or speed shop . Assuming the replacement of a single u-joint ( cross type ) on either end , are they in good shape ? Also , is the slip yoke at the driveshafts front ( transmission end ) in good shape ? Are the splines worn ? These are some of the things to be checked which are basic . Hope this helps and best of luck to you . Greg

:agree: Sounds like a problem with either driveshaft imbalance (a good shop can fix that) or u-joint, slip yoke problems. If you're anywhere near Asheville, NC, there's a great shop there that can straighten you out. Can't think of the name at the moment, but if the distance is good, pm me and I'll direct you. Great people there!

Gentlemen

Thank you for the feed back I will have my mechanic look into that. My regular mechanic did not install the drive shaft and I had a Master pro CV drive shaft installed. I was told it was stronger than the original and would perform. Question, if my serpentine belt is off alignment to the point it made a groove in the belt could that possibly be the cause. There's a slight vibration more of a humming then a kick, pop, push etc. would be the best description. I was told it could also be the transfer case except as I said in the last post this only happens on the freeway or hwy when im at 50mph or above at a constant speed. It does not happen on the street with stop lights and traffic. Again thank you for your feedback, I'm glad to be part of this community.

With regards to the complaint of vibration while highway driven , I can't see the serpentine belt being the cause but unless you mean the vibration is felt at a given engine rpm which will be at highway speed and is felt from the engine and not the driveline , I would say the misalignment of the sepantine belt must be dealt with first once the drive shaft is sorted out. The fact that a constant velocity driveshaft was installed adds new concerns balance wise. The drive line angle will have to be checked for the correct angle in degrees since you are getting road speed turbulence .This often happens when a lift kit is installed and all measurements alignment wise must be checked and adjusted as necessary. Although a cv joint is stronger , now the driveline angle of degrees for the driveshaft will have to be checked if it is to,work,out for your jeep. As for your serpentine belt , idler and tensioner needs checking and all pullieys it rides on and make certain the belt is the correct application just to rule that out. Hope it was installed correctly , a groove wearing into a new belt is certainly not normal.

Back