A little more clearance, please.

PhattyX

The newly aquired TJ has a 2" suspension lift and 33" tires. On the road, it's fantastic. No rub at turns; No scrapes on bumps. Off road, however, the tires rub horribly on the fender flares... and what appears to be the fender itself. Mostly the front. Is this typical of 33's under a 2" lift.

Looking at options, what's the best solution and what's the cheapest? I know a body lift will probably be cheapest and do the trick, but I'm not sure I really want to go that route. Would flat fender flairs (Bushwacker or Metalcloak type) be enough? Would it make sense to go ahead to a 4" susension lift? Since I just bought this, I'm not excited about throwing a bunch of cash into it.

Are there other options that I'm not thinking about?

Thanks for any input or suggestions/opinions,

-X

Running a 2'' lift & 33'' you can also extend the bump stops, add a BB or BL. To keep a LCG lift go with the metalcloak or DIY high line fenders.
But with the BL later you can do a TT to gain some clearance under the jeep.

Extended bump stops are the cheapest. However be ready for the limited up travel. Highline or tube fenders is anoter cheap IMO. More lift can run into more money with adding SYE, longer drive shaft or transfere case drop.... or I mean $$$$

JMHO

Thank you, all, for the posts.

I didn't think of extending the bump stops. Looks like I'm going to go with flat fender flares and extend the bump stops the smallest possible. I think I'm still going to have issues with the fender itself if I just do the flares.

What's a BB? All the other acronyms I got, but that one I don't know.

Sid, I saw that post while I was doing a search about DIY Highlines. It's crazy, really. That would definately do the trick... and doesn't look too technically difficult. That first cut into the hood, though...

I've actually got to hit up a junk yard for a couple odds and ends (windshield bump stop, ash tray, etc.). I'm going to keep my eyes out for a hood... just to see what a backup would cost. :D I'm sure my neighbors would love me cutting up the Jeep in the parking lot.

Thanks again, folks. It helped a bunch.

-X

Back