AC Help

Saddle Tramp

My daughter has a 02 Liberty, V6. Yesterday while driving she says she heard some clicking sounds under the hood and now the AC isn't working. It appeared to me that the AC clutch isn't engaging, no customary clicking in and out. Checked all fuses and even changed the relay in the box in front of the battery (checked those fuses too). No bad fuses and with the new relay no change.

I'm not AC savy so could the clutch give out? If so are we into a new compressor too because in the parts are only sold together? She's a "poor" college student so Dad is going to have to pay for the repair.

Thanks!

Check the A/C lines for any signs of an oil substance specially around the areas where the lines connects to the condenser and dryer. Chances are, the system is undercherged and caused the clutch not to engage. There's a pressure transducer on the high and low side of the a/c system that will prevent the clutch from engagement if the system is overcharged or undercharged..Check the freon charge level first before installing a compressor that you might not even need.

No noticeable leaking/oil spots. This is the second season my daughter has used the AC and it has worked OK. My guess then is being an 02 it's just low on refrigerant. I assume I can add the juice myself if I pick up a manifold to do it or are they too expensive?

134a freon is not bad on the price. just monitor the gauge so you dont overcharge the system but if you do, theres a pressure releif valve that will let that loose. just keep clear of that valve and don't breath the freon...As for a manifold set, i don't know how much they are from a local parts house. I paid $550.00 for my set from Snap-On tools..

hi mate have a look at the fuse box under the bonnet. you will find a set of 3 relay`s 12v, take out the nearest one to the bulk head this is the one that work`s the clutch on the AC unit. I had the same trouble after being quoted 200 dollar`s UK £100. if you take out another one just to try to see if this work`s the clutch ? then it`s just a case of replacing it.

good luck tricky

Tricky- I had already changed the rely jut to make sure it was OK. They are cheap here in The States, paid about 2-1/2 Pounds but thanks for the insight.

I added a can of refrigerant and that bought it back up to proper pressure. The AC worked for about a day and stopped again. I can't find any noticeable leaks so I am assuming the seal at the compressor shaft has given out. Any additional thoughts?

If you don't see any signs of a leak anywhere on the lines, condenser and a/c compressor, there's a possibility that it's leaking in the evaporator area. Having a Dye introduced to the system will make a better definitive diagnostic with the use of a Blacklight , however it will be difficult to find the leak on the evaporator since its encapsulated with the HVAC housing.

Back