Adding a factory subwoofer to a JK Sport factory stock head unit

Hammer_One

Hello, I own a 2010 Wrangler that has the stock single CD non-satellite radio set-up. I want to upgrade the system with all factory equipment without going to the dealership. However, I need some assistance and expertise to accomplish this and I hope the Jeep community can help.

I have a factory subwoofer and I found the wiring to connect it in the back passenger side of my Jeep. However, as has been posted several times before...plugging in the sub does make the sub work. What is the next step to make a factory system work? I want to use all OEM parts without involving the dealership. Ebay has all the main items such as OEM amps and head units, but I am unclear on whether my factory head unit needs to be replaced by a REQ or better head unit (RER, REN) or not. Will a simple RES head unit work? Also is the Jeep Wrangler already prewired for the small factory amp to power the prewired subwoofer? Where is the amp wiring? How is the amp mounted in the dash, any pictures of this mounting? If the wiring isn't in the dash already, as the subwoofer wiring are alreay found in the vehichle, can I purchase the wiring for the amp if required from somewhere as a independent item? I am willing to purchase another OEM head unit and the small OEM amp but I'm not sure what I need to make the OEM system work from scratch. Please let me know what I need beyond the factory subwoofer to build and upgrade a factory system to run the factory subwoofer. Please help! Thank you!!!

Adding a subwoofer shouldn't be a problem however, changing out the radio, adding an ampifier so on and so forth will run you into some issues without going to a dealer. A radio and ampifier from 07 and current is a network module within a network of other computers such as TIPM, PCM, WCM, TIPM, ABS, TCCM etc. When a new module is added to the network, the sales code of the added module will need to be added to the vin number build sheet via Chrysler dealer connnect by an authorized dealership. After the build sheet has been re configured by the dealer thru Chrysler, the network configuration needs to be reprogrammed in order for the new add-on to work. If any modules such as a radio is purchased used, the vin number thats embedded to the memory of that unit will need to be reprogrammed otherwise, the other computers in the network will set off a DTC for a vin mismatch and a network configuration unknown. From 2012 and on, the radios will now have a lock feature. The only way to unlock it is from a dealer. The dealer alone cannot unlock it until they request for an unlock code from Chrysler.

Back