Aftermarket exhaust headers reccomendations

Isaac1357

I'm pretty sure that I have an exhaust leak somewhere before the cat. I hear what I believe to be exhaust noise, and can definitely smell it under the hood. I'm planning on just replacing the headers and the pipe between there and the cat (downpipe? sorry, I'm a computer geek, not a mechanic, heh) and just being done with it, particularly after reading about the problems with the OEM setup cracking and such.

My question is, does anyone have any recommendations on what to get? I'm not looking for crazy expensive performance parts, just something that is well made and will last, which is basically a bolt in replacement. I don't mind any extra performance, of course, but this is basically just a daily driver. I'd rather not spend more than 400$ for the part.

This is for a '96 XJ 4.0 I6 4WD

Anyone have good experiences with any of the stuff out there? Advice on what to stay away from?

Any info will be very much appreciated. :)

its a little over your 400$ limit but the borla cat 4ward kit. has a header and new pipe to the cat. i have had it on my jeep for 4 years now i havent had any trouble at all with it. the fit is spot on. and i picked up alot of power through out the rpm range and about 3 to 4 miles per gallon also. not the cheapest header but in my opinion it is the best on the market. i just order my second borla header for my finacee's wrangler.

just my .02$

I to have the Borla and going through the warranty process right now. I have an 98 which is famous for cracking. Well after 2 OEM replacements, I bought a borla and got about 6 years out of it before it cracked. No other problems, but on the higher end of pricing. I figured with the million mile warranty, it would be my last header purchase.

Attachments

• crack 1.JPG
    crack 1.JPG
    333.6 KB · Views: 230
  • crack 2.JPG
    crack 2.JPG
    423.5 KB · Views: 394
  • good help.JPG
    good help.JPG
    405 KB · Views: 172
wow you cracked your borla?? i have had my glowing red several times. and one time it was red hot when i dropped into a deep mud hole and submerged it in a mixture of ice water and mud.. no cracks no leaks so far

Back