Aftermarket wiring harness 76 CJ5

Joseph.smith54

After taking out my stock harness, I noticed that unless I want to repair many of the wires that I may be better off buying a new set. I've seen this Painless wiring brand on a few websites. Does anyone have experience with them and can anyone tell me the difference between the part # 10106 and 10110?

After taking out my stock harness, I noticed that unless I want to repair many of the wires that I may be better off buying a new set. I've seen this Painless wiring brand on a few websites. Does anyone have experience with them and can anyone tell me the difference between the part # 10106 and 10110?

The 10110 is pre-terminated and cut to length for the CJ. For the most part, it a drop in OEM harness, you still need to crimp/soldier a couple of things. The 10106 is specific to the Jeep CJ but will need to be cut and the end connections crimped/soldiered on. The big difference will be if you the square tail lights and if the ignition switch is on the column (not sure about the 76 CJ5?). If you have both, you can use the 10110, if not the 10106 is a better fit for you. You can download the manual for both systems and compare.

They are both easily installed especially if you have most of the Jeep disassembled. Think of it as the 10106 is more "universal" for customizing, but more work.

On my current project, I'm using the Centech harness and am pleased so far with it. It cost less than Painless and comes in two different variations just like Painless. The big difference that I can see so far is that Centech does not use a stock/OEM fuse block.

Thanks John. I think I'll just save the extra cash to get the 10110. It will be a while before I get to the point of rewiring. Trying to get a master parts list of things I'm needing for this rebuild.

I feel lucky that for the most part 'Black Betty' was, for the most part, unmolested electrically by the PO's. Notwithstanding that, I have added a few things but tried to keep 'em easy to follow should this old CJ fall into another's hands. Namely the under hood fuse/relay PDB, the grounding bus, Merc Mystique dual fan w/its associated wiring, relays switches, etc. Winch, spot and fog lights, CB, 200 Watt 'brick', Stereo 'Marine' Amp. Sasquatch whistles, etc.

Do you happen to know if any of these kits come with wiring harness clips that secure the harness to the firewall, fenders, and grill?

Do you happen to know if any of these kits come with wiring harness clips that secure the harness to the firewall, fenders, and grill?

They come with a few clips but not really enough. I bought a set of replacement OEM style harness clips which had several variations of them from a guy on Ebay. I just searched "jeep cj7 parts" or I can get the info for you for my purchase if you have troubles.

Ez wire makes a nice looking kit also. Not specific to the cj but they make an 8 circuit and a 12 circuit and they are a little cheaper than painless. I am going to get one for my 76 cj5 sometime in the near future.

My buddy has a painless in his 86 cj7. It looks pretty decent

i ordered the mini 12 from ez wire for 140. it doesn;t have those clips you are asking about.

i just oredered an ez wire full harness for my 76 cj5. i thought about it and instead of screwing around with trying to make one myself, for 150 bucks this one is drop in. painless makes that nice cj specific one but for 350 bucks more. i figured i could clip the wires to the length i need for 350 bucks though.

I may end up trying the EZ kit, depending on how it goes for you. I was mainly thinking about the painless because lately I don't get much time off of work but supposedly we are going to a split shift so I will have 7 days off in a row every other week. This will give me ample time to sort out wiring.

I liked the painless till I saw the price. My buddies painless is super nice but I cannot see 350 more then this one just for wires cut to a certain length and ends. 350 is a lot of hours worked. I dont like to do extra work, at work, ha ha ha

Back